Post Surgery Bulemia?

NeeCeeUSA
on 12/15/14 1:55 am
VSG on 08/03/15

Hello.  I had lap band surgery a few years ago and eventually got within sight of my goal weight when my boss at work started giving me grief for throwing up (I am sure she is jealous as well).  Without reaching my goal and against my desires I had my lap band loosened.  Since then I have put on 15 lbs and am feeling very unhappy.  My insurance ran out and so at this point I don't have the resources to tighten my band.  But in truth my band is probably tight enough as I throw up several times a day.  I eat way more than I need because I love to eat and then I have to throw up because it is too much food.  I do not have time to take off work as I have no vacation time or sick leave available and cannot pay my bills if I take unpaid leave time and I have no resources to pay for any bulimia programs so that is just not an option.  But I think what I need is such a program to help me put food in perspective. Does anyone know of any free online meeting groups that deal with bulimia?  I can do skype or type or whatever.  I just need it to be evenings or weekends and I need it to be free.  I want to be healthier and I want to lose more weight so I can get to my goal.  But I can't keep throwing up and I have no clue how to not eat what I want when I want as it is, has been, and will always be my comfort in life.  I judt can't keep going back up or I will die and I am running out of options.  I can't just stop because if I could have done that I would not have been in the situation of  needing a lap band as it were.  Please help me if you can cause I really need the help and I need it now. 

Kate -True Brit
on 12/15/14 4:17 am - UK

I can't offer practical advice because I am not in the US and our systems work very differently. But I wanted to say that you are so sensible to be looking for help.

A well-adjusted band should not make you throw up, certainly not several times a day. I bring food back maybe once every couple of months and it is always through eating too fast. The band shouid never physically stop you eating a balanced diet and shouid never physically stop food going down. Well-chewed food should pass through within about a minute. If it doesn't your band is too tight. 

You may get posters telling you that what is happening to you is common with the band. But the point is, whether common or not, it is not how it should be. Your band is too tight - that may be because there are problens with it or it might quite simply just need saline removing. But whichever the cause, you risk doing yourself harm by not getting it seen to.

You are right that you need help to deal with your eating patterns but you also need your band checking. 

Have you tried programmes like Overeaters Anonymous?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 12/15/14 8:12 am

Overeaters Anonymous has resources for free at all hours.

You can try www.oa.org 

It sounds like you have several areas you could use help with.  It sounds like you have personal boundary issues if you allow a co-worker to influence how and what you eat.

Only you can do this, but you don't have to do it alone.... You put the food in your mouth .. Too much of it and the wrong kind .... You can learn to manage that.

You can start with a few reminders of post op life, like weighing and measuring your food ... Putting away the rest of the food once you have measured your portion.

Protein first in small, well chewed bites

No liquid calories (except low fat milk if you like)

With a band, (at least for me), I can't eat to be 'full'.  If I eat that much, I am over full.

I have to eat my portion and wait a few minutes to realize that I am no longer hungry, but I am not full, just satisfied.

Kath

Hislady
on 12/15/14 11:06 am - Vancouver, WA

I strongly agree with the rest of the posters OA is a great organization and may even have something near to help out. You should not be vomiting on a regular basis. All that acid is eating away at you teeth and your esophagus which can lead to esophageal cancer. You are walking a very thin tight rope and you must get therapy to help resolve your eating disorder. Have you checked to see if you qualify for medicaid or one of the lower cost insurances that are now offered via the Affordable Care Act? Please keep reaching ut for help until you get it, OA should have some resources for you. Best of luck to you!

Most Active