I'm having my Revision from RNY to BOB on 03/30/15...I have some questions!!!!

shawn31
on 3/22/15 4:05 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15

I posted this on the Revision Forum and the feedback was don't do it! I was told that the Lap band will cause me to have alot of permanent health issues. I have to admit that I am getting a little nervous now but I'm scared of a DS. Plus there are no Doctors in Charlotte that do that procedure. Has anyone on this forum ever had this revision done???? Thanks in advance for any feedback....

Kate -True Brit
on 3/22/15 6:36 am - UK

Look at the profile of Heathercross. She is a very successful BOB. I personally love my band and have done for almost 9 years but there are many on here who disagree with me! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

shawn31
on 3/22/15 8:50 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15

Thanks for responding. Yeah,the feedback hasn't been to great to say the least..lol. I had the RNY 9 years ago and lost 90 pounds. I gained weight again and stretched my pouch out. It's my fault of course along with my emotions. I having the lap band to tighten it back up to give me the full feeling again. How long did it take you to start losing? I was told it would be slower this time around...

Kate -True Brit
on 3/22/15 6:01 pm - UK

My band has from the start worked as it shouid. For nine years now! But loss is not fast as all it does is dim appetite. It should never stop you eating. ALL it should ever do is, if you eat according to the guidelines, is dim you appetite so that if YOU decide to stop eating, your hunger should not be a factor in encouraging you to eat more. 

It used to be thought we ate to a stopping point. That is not the case. If we do that we risk oesophageal damage.

i love my band and for me it is enough. But do not expect it to limit your capacity in the way other surgeries do. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 3/22/15 11:32 am - Vancouver, WA

I'm the board naysayer here so I have to agree with the idea that the band is a bad choice for anyone. I still have so much damage from mine that I still can hardly eat from all the acid that comes up my throat from my stomach. It literally burns my throat and mouth so much comes up into my mouth. I can't even wear my dentures for very long because the acidy saliva gets between the gums and my denture and just sits there burning my gums. I might mention I had the band removed over a year ago!

I do know a few who have had success with the BOB so it is possible, the problem is there are no long term statistics to show what kind of damage it may do to your stomach down the road. Those of us who had bands years ago were actually guinea pigs and didn't know it and we paid for it, so I am just very leery of anything to do with the band.

Zee Starrlite
on 3/26/15 2:49 am, edited 3/26/15 2:50 am

There was one other successful BOB on this LB Forum.  She was deliriously successful and happy until she was not.  She had her band removed in an extreme emergency situation.  She later got to revise her RNY to a DS.  She almost died.   I found her again on the Pro    Boards.  I can't write that name here.  But yeah, she was first then Heather and I believe there was communication between the 2.

They may not do a DS in Charlotte - hell they don't do RNY to DS revisions mostly nowhere.  You have to find one of the few select expert surgeons to do that conversion.

Forget the incisionless tightning procedures - they do not work - ROSE, Stophamyhx (however it is spelled).  They are always coming up with a new name - throwing in staples, sutures, or clips.  Whatever, it has not worked.  Hmmm the POSE results are still up in the air???

Your other option is to not have surgery at all.  Can you track you calories and exercise - yeah I know but no matter what we have to do it anyway.

I wish you well.

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active