From Band to What???

Laurel B.
on 6/1/15 6:06 pm - Evans, GA
RNY on 07/21/17

I had a lapband put in, in 2007.  I had complications from day 1.  I was in the hospital 4 days.  My port was placed just under my ribcage and I hit it when I do crunches, have sex, etc.  I never had a fill that even allowed me to swallow spit. I would go in for a fill and be back the next day for an unfill. I lost some weight but gained some back. I'm down about 25 from the initial surgery. I don't necessarily regret having the surgery.  If I had not, I'd probably be much heavier now than when I started but I'm just done with the band.

For the past few years I have had a lot of pb's. I've ended up developing bad eating habits because of it. The wrong stuff, sugar and flour items go down very quick but nothing good goes down.  Forget pineapple, broccoli, pork, chicken, shrimp, pasta, anything with fiber, scrambled eggs etc.  It all gets stuck more than it goes down. I've ignored it and just accepted it as part of life for a long time.  However, in the past few months the heart burn and throwing up has gotten so bad.  The heart burn just sucks so bad.  Nothing works. I have to sleep propped up etc. etc.

I finally saw a doctor today.  I have an appointment for an upper GI Wednesday and a follow up with him on Friday. Lurking on these boards and google searches I think I would want to convert to the sleeve. I'm 240, 5'7" now. I don't think a bypass would be good for me but I'd love to hear or rather read from others.

Anyone else have a similar story?  Which option did you choose?

5'8" HW:265 SW:235 CW:224 GW:160.

ROUX NY 7/21/2017

LAPBAND 8/31/2007

Susan O.
on 6/2/15 7:39 am - Atlanta, GA

Laurel,

I am generally just a lurker here, but I thought I would reply. I had symptoms very similar to yours. I had a hiatal hernia and probably had it since my band was placed in late 2005. It was the source of my heartburn and reflux. But with all of the regurgitation from the hernia, I caused myself to have a band slip. I had upper GI and found the hernia - I had it repaired and the band repositioned. All has been fine since. Gained weight because I didn't have fluid put back in the band til yesterday.

Just like you, I put up with my symptoms for a very long time and they weren't from my band. I think your first course is determine if your symptoms are the band or something else. Then you will have the information to make a decision. I am going to give the band an opportunity to work. 

Laurel B.
on 6/2/15 8:19 am - Evans, GA
RNY on 07/21/17

Thank you for your response. I have the Upper GI tomorrow morning, so hopefully I'll know more then.

Laurel

ROUX NY 7/21/2017

LAPBAND 8/31/2007

Laurel B.
on 6/6/15 8:21 am - Evans, GA
RNY on 07/21/17

Update:

Had the Upper GI.  I have a prolapsed stomach or basically a band slip.  I'm scheduled to have the band removed on Tuesday.  I have a lot of mixed feelings.  I had hoped if it was removed I'd be offered another option.  The doctor said he didn't feel comfortable doing a conversion until the stomach heels from this event. I'm so happy to finally be done with this thing but on the other hand I know without it, I'd probably have continued on the path I was on and be much heavier.  I'm scared once I'm not throwing up 1/3 of my food I'll gain back the little I've kept off (25 lbs.)

Wish me luck on Tuesday.

Laurel

ROUX NY 7/21/2017

LAPBAND 8/31/2007

Karen D.
on 6/11/15 5:22 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Hi Laurel,

Your experience could be me word for word.  I miss eating healthy food.  I throw up food quite a lot.  I have had my consultation for revision but haven't decided if I want to do it or not.  How did you make out with the band removal?

It is good that the doctor wants your stomach to heal, I think it's a good thing.  Hope you did ok.

Keep us posted.

Karen

Laurel B.
on 6/16/15 3:04 pm - Evans, GA
RNY on 07/21/17

Hello Karen!

I had the band out last Wednesday.  I wasn't able to get a revision as I mentioned before.  I knew I'd be on clear liquids a day and thought the doc had said bariatric liquids for 3 days but instead when I came home it was with instructions for full liquids for 2 weeks!  I didn't get to see the doc before leaving the hospital.  I've been trying to follow those instructions but it's been so hard.  I'm so blazing hungry.  Problem is I'm not sure why he said nothing but liquids for 2 weeks.  I'm not sure if maybe something was wrong or it is just precautionary.  I go back next week and I'll ask then.  I then mean time.... it's been a struggle because I'm hungry and I guess I was looking forward to eating without puking finally!

As far as the surgery, it was out patient - the bloating isn't as bad as the original band.  I have 5 BIG fist size black and blue bruises underneath the incisions so I'm sore.  It's not awful and I only took the pain pills (liquid) the day of surgery. I was able to walk the next morning, went 2.5 miles!  Walked almost 8 miles over the following few days but now it'**** 100+ and I'm not walking outside.  I'm down 12 pounds in a week! Surgery was Wednesday, I went back to work Monday... no problems except for hunger.

What have you decided?

Laurel

ROUX NY 7/21/2017

LAPBAND 8/31/2007

Most Active