I Need Support - Returning Here After Years

bridget77
on 6/3/15 8:04 am
I got my lap band in 2007 and for a while I was using it and went from 340 pounds to 240 pounds. However shortly after getting the band I got into an abusive relationship that caused me a lot of stress. In 2011 I stopped going to the doctor entirely and I have been overeating ever since. I am back up to almost 300 pounds, which is only 40 pounds less than my highest weight pre-surgery.

I am now divorced and I know I need to be accountable and go back to see a doctor. I have moved since the surgery and wonder if I should drive the few hours to see my initial surgeon in order to get a referral to a surgeon/doctor in my new town? Also if I have stretched out my pouch is there any hope for me? Or will I have to get a revised surgery? I didn't follow any of the post-surgery recommendations for the past few years. Is all hope lost? I could really use support and advise right now. Thanks.
Nic M
on 6/3/15 8:29 am

Hi Bridget,

You definitely need to see a medical professional to make sure everything's okay with your system. You don't have a pouch to stretch, so I wouldn't worry about that. Your band could be positioned incorrectly or maybe you just need the band filled to get started again, if you're not having any issues.

Are you experiencing any problems with food getting stuck or pain of any kind that might be band related? 

The first thing I'd do, personally, is get a comprehensive checkup to make sure all is as it should be. Check to see if there is a doctor in your area who can help you. If not, I'd drive to see your initial surgeon. 

Good luck to you. And I'm glad you were able to safely remove yourself from an abusive situation. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

bridget77
on 6/3/15 8:43 am
Thank you so much for your reply. I am not experiencing any trouble with my band, or any pain. I do feel restriction, but I can and have been eating beyond when I notice I'm full as well as drinking liquids with meals.

I made an appointment with a bariatric doctor in town that takes my insurance after I called my surgeon and they said they would be able to release the records to any doctors in my area. I recently saw a doctor who did a full physical and diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. It was that doctor's kindness that encouraged me to get back on track.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice.
vlp1968
on 6/3/15 12:27 pm

I am glad you found a local surgeon, will just make things that much easier for you.  I wish you best in getting back on track!  You can do it!

bridget77
on 6/4/15 8:32 am
Thank you so much. Your encouragement means a lot.
crystal M.
on 6/4/15 8:28 am - Joliet, IL

I think you most definitely have a good chance at losing weight again.  You don't seem to have any issues with your band and you seem to want to get back into "band lifestyle".  You are showing lots of motivation just by going to your doctor and making an appointment for your surgeon.  I think have a great attitude.  So many people come on here with an attitude of defeat already.  And I can totally understand that feeling.  But I always feel that rather than sitting around and throwing yourself a pitty party start making steps towards your goal...which you did!!!

I am 6+ years out.  I have lost and maintained 185 lbs.  I have been able to recently start to lose weight again.  I am 20 lbs from my goal weight and I decided to try to reach that goal.  I am proof that even after 6+ years you can start losing weight again if you go back to the basics and exercise. 

Good luck. 

bridget77
on 6/4/15 8:32 am
Thank you Crystal. You are doing awesome and that gives me a lot of hope! I'm not afraid of hard work or exercise. Take care.
Susan O.
on 6/4/15 6:36 pm - Atlanta, GA

Crystal,

Congratulations. Like you -I am wanting to meet my goal weight. I have been there and am ready to go back. I have 30 lbs to lost to get to 145. I appreciate your message that even after 6 years you can start losing weight again. I need to join those ranks. 

Susan O.
on 6/4/15 6:39 pm - Atlanta, GA

Bridget,

The lovely thing is that you can still follow the rules. 

bridget77
on 6/5/15 7:12 am
Thank you for putting it so simply. It gives me hope.
Most Active