No restriction and two lapband fills and i'm self pay so upset

lawanda39
on 6/16/15 6:52 am - calumet city, IL

Hi guys Ive been banded since 2006 lost over hundred pounds going from 256 to 155. My insurance no longer covers my fills so I pay 250 per fill and ive hand two of them and I have zero damn restriction and ive gained 30 damn pounds with the fils.I'm so scared that i'm going to end up being 256 again and I don't know why my band is no longer restricting me.It will work fine for a day or two than the restriction will go away.I was doing so good now I feel helpless and fat all over again.What is wrong with my band? smh so digusted.

Hislady
on 6/16/15 2:32 pm - Vancouver, WA

The only way to find out for sure is to see your surgeon and yeah I know all about self pay been there done that! It sounds like a leak but could also be erosion only a doc can tell you that. You have had your band nearly 10 yrs and few keep them that long so I am not surprised you are having issues. Please see a surgeon as soon as you can.

crystal M.
on 6/18/15 9:21 am - Joliet, IL

You need to go to your surgeon and have him look at your band under fluoro.  Do a leak test.  Make sure everything is in good working order.  If it comforts you any I had the same sensation when I would get regular fills.  I felt some restriction for a few days and then back to normal.  I think my stomach would get used to it and it no longer felt restricted...maybe.  But I did finally get a fill I was comfortable with. 

Please get checked out to make sure your band and your stomach are in good working order.   

Zee Starrlite
on 6/18/15 9:46 am

Your probably just venting and really know you need to go to your surgeon for diagnostics of your band issues.

Unfortunately you are 9 years in and most band fail way before then.  Even still it may be something minor but no way of knowing until you  undergo testing.  Could be a leak, dilated esophogas, slip or maybe your stomach has gotten smaller???

All Best to you.  It is rough but you need to go through the motions and emotions.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/15 7:29 am - NY

Lawanda I was banded in 2007 and have had varying restriction.  I would like to know a little more bout your situation. Did you stop seeing your surgeon?  Sounds like you have been a successful long term bandster.  I lost 85 pounds and stopped due to getting cancer.  I am now back on track and going for the next 50.  Hope to be at goal by the end of the year.  Never had any problems with my band and just had a complete upper GI study.  My original surgeon left and my new surgeon wanted to make sure the band hadn't slipped, my esophagus wasn't dialated, etc  All was fine.  Hang in there.  You may need another fill or two to get at the sweet spot.  Keep us posted. 

lawanda39
on 6/25/15 8:08 am - calumet city, IL

Thanks guys for replying I had a total unfill for six weeks and than I started over again with 2c's and than they just put 1.5 I have some restriction but not much.I am going to see if I have a leak next weak.I might need another fill.I have been going to see my surgeon and I had my fills under flouro so the band hasn't slipped.I just know I gained 20 pounds and I'm really feeling down about it.

kathkeb
on 6/26/15 9:53 pm

Well, for me -- when I think that my band is no longer working, I try to really examine my eating -- and see if maybe I am no longer eating the way I should.

I go back to lean, solid protein --- cut into tiny pieces --- and I eat a weighed/measured amount.

I cut out all caloric beverages (except maybe low-fat milk) -- and drink plenty of water.

I do that for a week -- and always lose some weight, lose the cravings for carbs -- and find that my band is really fine ---

Kath

Most Active