LAP-Band and Diabetes

MaronitaMay
on 7/27/15 12:16 am

I have had a successful LAP-Band surgery but have NEVER been diabetic.  I have a friend who has considered surgery but was advised by the surgeons to have the Gastric Bypass surgery.  My friend is interested in WLS but does NOT want the Gastric Bypass as she does not like the idea of cutting any organs.  I am wondering if anyone with diabetes has had the LAP-Band and how well it worked.  Do you still have diabetes?  If so, has there been improvement?  Thanks!

Susans_journey
on 7/27/15 3:30 pm

Hi.  Research has shown that nearly immediately there is a change in a diabetic's blood glucose following gastric bypass surgery.  This does not hold true for gastric banding.  However, if the gastric band is placed well and the individual follows the rules very precisely, dietary changes may (the operative word here is MAY) control blood glucose levels.  This is not a guarantee and it is not due to anything other than the person's change in diet- so there is a great potential for problems there.  Sticking to the gastric banding routine is challenging-especially in the long run.  Therefore, compliance with the band rules AND the absence (post band installation) of the physiologic effects  of reducing blood sugar with the band but PRESENT in many cases with bypass makes the band NOT an intervention for diabetes control.  Hope this helps.  Better to have her consult with a surgeon so that all of her questions will be answered.  WLS is a commitment, regardless of the type.  Good luck! 

Bette B.
on 7/27/15 6:30 pm

Type 2 diabetes for about 10 years prior to surgery, taking 2 oral meds and 2 insulins. After about a year out, and a lot of pounds gone, I was off everything and my BGLs have been perfect.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/15 1:08 am, edited 8/10/15 1:08 am - NY

It's true that diabetes is better treated by the bypass or sleeve. However, I am type 2 and am off 2 oral medications and insulin with the band after losing 90 pounds. Just on metformin now.  I still have about 50 to go and expect to be off everything by then. 

dwpersel
on 8/30/15 3:10 pm - Fredericksburg, VA

I had my Lap-Band surgery 3/6/07. Have lost and kept off 120 pounds. Was a type 2 diabetic for 16 years before surgery and stilll am. I take Bydureon injection once a week, Metformin and Farixga daily. My HBA1C is 6.6 at present.

Most Active