burning feeling and coughing when i lat down do you think this is caused by my band?

judeloren
on 7/29/15 11:34 am

i haven't felt very good for a few months but about a month ago i felt like a burning feeling right about where my lap band would be and i started to feel like i couldn't catch my breath. I have also been coughing when i lay down.  it got pretty bad so i went to the ER they checked my band in a ct scan and said it hadn't slipped or anything. They had me laying down so i started coughing and the ER Dr said i had asthma. They gave me an inhaler and it does nothing for me. I have felt the burning feeling since then also. I am wondering if it might be GERD? or an erosion from the band? that they could only see with an upper GI? I have already talked to her about having the band removed and waiting on a surgery date so i haven't called back to ask this specifically from my surgeon and now i don't know if i should bring it u*****t. has anyone experienced anything like this?

Bette B.
on 7/29/15 5:53 pm

Could it be caused by the band? YES!

IMHO, it's most likely acid reflux caused by a) a too tight band, b) lying down too soon after eating or c)both.

Get in to see your SURGEON - someone who knows about bands - and get it looked at. You may need to have some fluid out. And do it ASAP.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

judeloren
on 7/30/15 7:11 am

thanks for replying! i ended up calling last night and i am getting the very last of my fluid in the band let out today.

judeloren
on 7/30/15 7:37 am

i didn't think to tight because i thought my band was empty lol i guess they only took 1 cc out last time and not all like i had thought. but i guess it has a little in there but i have no restriction at all.

Nic M
on 7/29/15 9:15 pm

Have you been checked for hiatal hernia? That can cause problems. I'd definitely get checked thoroughly. You certainly don't want this to get worse. I did have similar symptoms. It was gastritis, hiatal hernia, ulcers, reflux, and diaphragmatic damage from the band. You definitely don't want to leave it "as is." Best of luck to you. I hope band removal will help you to feel much better. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

judeloren
on 7/30/15 7:10 am

i think they checked for that with the ct scan i had to swallow the glowing stuff then they also did a dye injection. i went ahead and called my surgeon they are taking out the rest of my fluid just in case but still waiting for surgery. thanks for replying!

Hislady
on 7/30/15 8:52 pm - Vancouver, WA

My band was completely empty and I still had this issue and it rarely shows up on testing because the band gets scar tissue built up under the band, between the band and where it rubs on the stomach, that doesn't show up on any of the tests. Once this starts it is best to get the band removed because it will only get worse. I have problems swallowing and have lost 30 percent of my swallowing ability because of the band causing this on me. Like Bette said it is probably a combination of both the band being too tight and GERD. If you have acid too long it can also give you Barretts esophagus a pre cancerous condition that is very serious and also requires removal of the band. Good luck please make sure your doc stays on top of this!!

judeloren
on 7/31/15 5:28 am

im still waiting on insurance to approve removal but my dr said i could have it out before this really started to get worse. they emptied my band last night and i almost think ti is worse. i can breathe better and less coughing but now i feel the burning almost to my throat. she said if doesn't go away in a few days to let them know i would probably need an upper gi...  hopefully the insurance just approves it and i can get it out!! lol thanks for the advise!

Zee Starrlite
on 7/31/15 8:42 am

Hope you get to feeling better quick.  Can you take acid reducers?I know for sure you will feel completely better with your band removed.

Check out this information and natural remedies for heartburn/acid reflux -

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CFwQFjADahUKEwift7Wc2oXHAhXKph4KHbANADc&url=http%3A%2F%2Farticles.mercola.com%2Fsites%2Farticles%2Farchive%2F2014%2F04%2F28%2Facid-reflux-ulcer-treatment.aspx&ei=6pa7VZ-aJcrNerCbgLgD&usg=AFQjCNHd-uH172VG5pnzEHFfXMRbA2OaHw&bvm=bv.99261572,d.dmo

Best

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

judeloren
on 7/31/15 10:09 am

i can i have been on omeprozole for a few weeks now. it seems to help some but not enough.

Most Active