Rollercoaster with the band

Sassy Sharron
on 9/19/15 6:09 am - GA

Wow, It's been quite some time since I have been on the board.  I have experience some tragic life experience.  My husband past in 2008.  My son past in 2014.  Over the course of grieving, I gained 30 pounds.  When I decided it was time to get back on track, it was discovered that my port had flip May 2014.  Have surgery to fix the flipped port and almost a year later no weight loss.  Went in for third fill and discovered once again port has tilted once again.  Surgery again to fix port June 2015.  Two months later again port has tilted. I refuse to go thru surgery again.  So the bad news is, the only way for me to get a fill is the doctor does it at the hospital under fluro.    I will continue to do what I can on my own.  Feeling really discourage. Not sure where to go from here. I have manage to lose 11 pounds from hard work and discipline, no thanks to the bands help.

SASSY SHARRON

Wyldblu
on 9/20/15 1:31 pm

I had to have my lap band removed due to complications. I am glad I had that option, and am now looking at other options to re-lose the weight. I just came on to give you encouragement, and let you know that you aren't alone in lap band complications. Good luck to you.

marciar233
on 9/20/15 5:34 pm

Had my band removed on June 2 and have gained 20 lbs, fractured my foot 3 days later have not been able to exercise, just got back to exercise and need to loose feel terrible.  They are not doing the lasp band anymore here so the only option I have is the bypass.  I lost 100 lbs and had the band for 10 years.

Hislady
on 9/20/15 11:29 pm - Vancouver, WA

I feel bad for all of you, I had my band removed over a year ago and am still suffering from the permanent damage it has done to my stomach and I only lost 20 lbs with it. I have since lost all my weight from the damage it did to me because I can hardly eat anymore and the weight I lost was all muscle so it left me very weak.

The band has been a huge disappointment for many of us and is no longer being done by many surgeons, even the Mayo Clinic has stopped using them so that tells you what a failure it is for the vast majority of us. It has a 60% failure rate so we aren't the reason for failure but the band itself is a poor product and many of us who got them 8-10 yrs ago were lied to by the manufacturer. We were promised it would do things it couldn't do for us. So don't feel bad at all.

Many folks have gone on to revise to other surgeries, I would say the majority revise to the vertical sleeve gastrectomy, VSG and have been very successful. I would suggest you read up on the other surgical options the RNY and the DS, duodenal switch. Look at your eating habits and see which surgery would fit your eating problem and get the surgery best suited for you. Altho none of the surgeries will help if you eat lots of carbs. If you eat mostly carbs you will fail at any of the surgeries so you have to be willing to make a lifetime adjustment to your eating habits but if you are willing to do that any one of them can be a huge help to success. I wish you all the best!

DonnaMaria
on 9/30/15 5:11 pm

First let me say how sorry I am for your losses. I too have had issues with the band. Mine broke at the top by the pouch. Then in 2013 I had it repositioned due to a hernia. I am getting the band removed in October and the sleeve in Jan. I started really watching what I ate the past few days. Wouldn't you know I had a horrible episode with the band tonight. When I eat clean like we are supposed to I get everything stuck.

Most Active