Advice Needed!

conazza
on 10/9/15 3:22 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

Hello,

I was banded in 2006 lost about 40 lbs. I've kept most of it off but recently have had a lot of reflux. I was completely emptied to help the situation. Didn't help much with the gas etc but did help with the burning I was having. They did some testing and found that my band looks fine.

I'm a singer and don't really want to have the band re-filled for fear of worse reflux. I've been working very hard to try not to gain weight now that it's unfilled. I have been successful after the first couple weeks of adjustment. My question is what to do next. I am still 110 lbs over weight. Over this past year and a half I've developed the habit of working out by swimming 3x a week and doing weights 2x a week but I've not seen any weight loss from that. Should I have the band out and revise to RNY or just leave it the way it is? How much time would I be out of work? If I've not been able to lose much weight with the band and working out will I have any success with any other surgery? Any help with this would be appreciated. How different is what you can/can't eat with the band vs RNY? Thank you for your input, Norma

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/15 8:56 am - NY

Hi Norma! Good to speak with you again! It has been a while. I was banded right after you in 2007. I lost 100 pounds to date with 40 to go. Switched surgeons because my original one moved. After 9 years I would suggest you consider revising. Check out the revision boards and see what they have to say. We got our bands when they were fairly new. I probably would opt for a sleeve now even though this has worked for me so far. Hate the constant follow ups for fills, etc. Good luck to you on your new journey! Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

sqlchick19
on 10/20/15 5:57 pm
RNY on 12/15/14

Hi! I was banded in 2008, and revised to a RNY this past December 2014. BEST decision I ever made. night and day. I've lost 109 lbs so far...with another 15 to go. No reflux, no getting stuck, no vomiting. I so happy....and knowing what I know now, can't believe I lived with the band and its issues as long as I did.

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

Hislady
on 10/20/15 6:41 pm - Vancouver, WA

If reflux is an issue you would do best to revise to RNY as the sleeve is not advised for reflux situations. Many of us had very little weight loss with the band and have had some serious problems because of the band so the sooner you can get it removed the better off you will be. Good luck to you!

CSG_61615
on 10/27/15 3:08 pm
with

Hi Norma,

I was just banded 4 months ago, and I'm struggling. But I want to comment on your reflux, since it seems that that is what is keeping you from getting adequate fills. I had terrible night time reflux, aspirated the fluid, and ended up in the hospital with aspiration pneumonia a few weeks ago. I have discovered, however, that I can prevent the reflux by not eating or drinking for 2 hours before bedtime, or before lying down. I make sure I'm sitting, even when I first fall asleep. I also take 2 pepcid before bedtime. I am not in the green zone, and I don't know if this will be adequate to prevent reflux when saline is added. But it has made a huge difference over the past couple of weeks.

Good luck,

Candy

Most Active