Band is coming out and revising

Karen D.
on 10/11/15 11:28 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I got approved for removal of the band and revision to the sleeve. My surgery is going to be 11/24. In a way I can't believe this is going to happen. I'm a bit nervous already, but feel that it's my best option right now and hope that it does the trick!

sheriberi29
on 10/12/15 5:27 pm - Cleveland, TN

Karen , congratulations on your approval . I have trouble navigating this website so I didn't see your story. Can you tell me how much you've lost with your band , how long you had it and what failed ?? I'm having some issues after being banded for almost 7 years but my insurance says they won't cover anything to do with my band . Bc it's a different insurance company than the one I had back thrn

my email is [email protected]

Karen D.
on 10/13/15 3:15 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Hi Sheri, I initially lost 86lbs which was not near my goal. I started having issues swallowing in 2009. Ended up having all the fluid removed, upper GI showed nothing. I went on for 3+ years without any fluid and gained all the weight back. I was back to my starting weight. Even without fluid I was having issues swallowing, felt like food getting stuck at my collar bone (that's where I was feeling the pain and pressure) and sliming a lot. I went back in 2013 even though I was still having issues and decided to put fluid in and consider the revision to sleeve. I changed my eating habits a lot, started exercising and working with a health coach. I had 2 very small fills but I have managed to lose 60lbs since then. I still do a fair amount of sliming though. I never know if today I can eat or not. I told my doc it's a love/hate relationship with my band.

I finally made the decision to revise and he ordered an upper GI so he could have some backup for insurance approval. While I was on the table drinking I started experiencing the issues I've been telling the doctor but I didn't say anything to the radiologist. He noticed I was having an issue on his screen and said something to me, I told him I was going to slime up the barium so I ended up spitting it out as he finished his tests. I couldn't have asked for better timing!! Finally it acted up at the right moment. I will ask my surgeon when I see him again what the radiologist saw, I'm curious. I'm sure it helped my case for approval. I have a different insurance company now from when I was banded too but they provide better coverage so I'm glad.

I hope all goes well with my surgery. I'm nervous because my band has been on for a long time, not sure what I'm going to go through to get it out.

sheriberi29
on 10/13/15 8:43 am - Cleveland, TN

I see. Thank you for taking the time to reply. From what I can see from all the research I've been doing, your blessed to be having the band removed and revisited to the sleeve. I wish that were an option for me as I am almost positive I have an eroded band, regain, and unable to get restriction without being so tight that I can't swallow spit even with a .25 fill.... Now my port site is hot and hurting and my insurance will pay to remove the band IF it's an absolute emergency but will not cover anything to replace it

BebeZed
on 10/16/15 11:15 am - Bellingham, WA

Congratulations!

I was recently revised from lap band to DS... October 3, 2015 was my surgery date and my doctor was Dr. Esquerra. It was a surprise that this surgery actually hurt me less than my lap band surgery and my recovery has been short and sweet. I hope your experience is the same!

May you have an uneventful surgery and recovery! :)

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/15 6:59 am - NY

So happy for you Karen! I know you have been frustrated for several years and have tried everything. I think this will be fabulous for you. We got our band when they were fairly new and hoped for the best. I would have opted for the sleeve myself back then to avoid all the follow up visits. I haven't had any problems so far thank goodness. Keep us posted. You are just about a month away from the surgery. I guess those awful protein shakes will start up soon enough. You will be delighted with the results and glad to be rid of the symptoms you have been having. Soooo happy for you. Good luck.

Hislady
on 10/20/15 6:48 pm - Vancouver, WA

Hooray I'm so happy for you!!! You are going to be so much happier with the sleeve, I just know it. You will lose weight and be able to eat real food again just less of it. I'll be praying for a complete success. The surgery is not bad at all, even easier than having it put in. I'm so excited for you!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/15 4:41 pm - NY

Have you had the sleeve revision Hislady?

Hislady
on 11/1/15 8:17 pm - Vancouver, WA

No I wasn't able to revise for several reasons, one my insurance didn't cover it (I had to pay for removal but just the surgeon and anesthesiologist). Also I have COPD and am now in oxygen so no one wants to chance doing any surgery on me now. However the good Lord gave me an over active thyroid and I lost all the rest that I needed to since then. Now I'm looking into figuring out why the thyroid went overactive. So if I can just keep this off I'll be perfectly happy, I'll be sticking with Atkins eating and hope that will do the trick.

If it weren't for those obstacles tho I would definately go with the sleeve, I know lots of people that have had it and for the most part they are all very happy with it and say that it is like what we were told the band would be but it wasn't for so many of us. I do have a lot of GERD tho so might have to have a RNY if that were the situation I wouldn't be opposed to that either, but since no one will touch me with a scalpel I don't have to make a choice! lol

I think with any of the other surgeries (excluding the band) it is far more about what and how much you eat than anything else. The people I know who are super successful and have kept their weight off long term eat low carb/hi protein/moderate fat and that keeps them on track with a few occasional splurges for very special times.

Kazzy2
on 11/1/15 8:11 pm

Hi Karen,

Have just jumped back on the board to see if I can get some inspiration to get this band working for me again and saw your post, I was banded back in March 2007, and initially lost about 50lbs then after a trip to South Africa and having to have a total unfill have never been able to get back to the green zone - and have put all + a few extra kgs back on.

Very frustrating. I am seriously thinking about a revision now too... Selfpay yet again, which does not feel good when I think what I could be paying...

So glad to hear you have a revision coming up 24th Nov, really hope it goes well and you get great results. Can I ask can they do it al in one operation remove band and add sleeve or two separate operations?

I am going to read the forums for more revision stories, or inspiration to get my band working again. I have just booked a fill with my nurse for Monday - will see what she can suggest from there.

Take special care!

Karen

NZ

Most Active