Dr. said band to sleeve surgery is pointless. Said little weight is lost if any and regain is much

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/16 7:25 pm

I met with my doctor the other day and he said band to sleeve operations are rarely successful. He said the weight regain occurs a lot faster or very little weight is lost anything at all.

needless to say I am very disappointed to hear this and I am reaching out for success stories. Beyond three years that it was if there are any? I just can't believe this is true and I feel like I remember reading success stories. Perhaps, this has to do with his technique and this is why this is happening. He seems to think that you just never get the sensation of being satisfied... I think most disturbing is that he said some patients never really leave anything at all...

By all means I don't want to offend anyone I'm just repeating what I heard and effort to get some clarity and perhaps some inspiration. FYI he also said that a gastric bypass is the best way to go for sustainable weight loss.

annie0039
on 1/25/16 5:40 pm

You will probably get better/more responses if you post on the Sleeve forum ;)

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/16 6:07 pm

Thanks I posted there too :) I figured there might be people on this boad who may have heard the same thing ....

Hislady
on 1/26/16 3:32 pm - Vancouver, WA

Your doc is crazy!! I know of many (hundreds if not thousands) people who have revised to the sleeve because as most of us know the band is totally useless for weight loss and causes horrible damage to our stomachs. I belong to several failed band forums and nearly everyone whop has gotten a sleeve whether a virgin sleeve or a revision from band to sleeve absolutely loves their sleeves because for the first time they are able to lose weight. It may not be quite as quickly as the bypass but still it works and it works well. If I were able to revise I would have gotten a sleeve for sure. Other health issues prevent that but still I read a great deal about the sleeve before having my band removed and everyone loves them. Your surgeon either doesn't do them or only does bands because what he told you is a bald faced lie. For that reason alone I would find a new surgeon, but if you want a sleeve you will need to find someone else to do it for you!

Karen D.
on 1/26/16 10:18 am, edited 1/26/16 2:18 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I had a band for almost 10 years.  I revised to the sleeve 11/24/15.  I can't say I'm a success ...but so far I am doing OK with it.  I am not losing 10lbs a week or anything like that, but I'm losing slowly.  I was a slow loser with the band too so although I want the fat gone, it's not going to happen for me quickly like it does others.  

I get full and I'm satisfied with the tiny amounts I eat.  With the band...never.  I was always hungry because I couldn't ever eat anything of substance that would stay with me (threw up all the time).

Good luck with your research!!

sheriberi29
on 1/27/16 5:58 am - Cleveland, TN

My dr did say the same thing last week about not revising from band to sleeve because of it not being successful and also due to some pressure the sleeve can put on the area of the stomach the band had damaged . I am not convinced that he is correct just because there are things he has told me that are not true upon further education. What I have found is that he pushes his patients  towards the gastric bypass ... But I did want you to know that your dr isn't the only one saying this . 

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/16 9:40 am - NY

My doc claims revision from band to bypass is best.  Sleeve is a good primary surgery.  Didn't ask why since I don't need a revision and have lost most of my weight with the band without problems.  I don't know hundreds or "thousands" that have revised.  Don't even know that many people at all.  Just what my doc said and what I have experienced.  Hope that helps. Why can't you keep trying with the band?  It takes more work and doctors visit for sure than the other procedures.  I love my band and have come to depend on the restriction and hard stop I feel when I attempt to over eat. It's a fine line between being too tight and not tight enough.  You will learn through trial and error.  Don't give up and turn a deaf ear to the negative nay sayers!  Most of us successful long term bandsters are out living our lives and no longer visit the boards.  I know at least 6 (sorry not hundreds or thousands!).  PM me if you want encouragement to avoid negativity. Good luck!

Ms Shell
on 2/11/16 10:48 am - Hawthorne, CA

Is this the same doctor that gave you the band to begin with?  

What IS his suggestion?

I have seen numerous band to sleeve success.  The sleeve works for LIFE how the band is "said" to work but without having fills/unfills etc.  Not sure how good it works after the band destroys esophagus and stomachs BUT I do know GREAT success from the transfer.

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

DreedyDo
on 2/15/16 12:54 pm

Hi - How about getting another opinion?  Dr. C @ Metabolic Weight Loss Center 513-559-1222 has placed 4,000 bands.

GuyMontag
on 2/19/16 11:42 am

I think when doctors make blanket statements like that you really need to look at what their practice focuses on.  If that doc only specializes in one type of surgery then they are obviously going to be biased and steer you to the surgery that they want to do on you.

Most Active