Lap Band over RNY procedure

shay51
on 6/3/16 11:20 am - Tulsa, OK

I had my gastric bypass almost 16 years ago and have gained back 80 pounds. I am considering having the lap band put around my pouch. Could someone enlighten me on this. What kind of results should I see, etc.

hollykim
on 6/3/16 12:14 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 3, 2016 at 6:20 PM Pacific Time, shay51 wrote:

I had my gastric bypass almost 16 years ago and have gained back 80 pounds. I am considering having the lap band put around my pouch. Could someone enlighten me on this. What kind of results should I see, etc.

we have mot seen ppl on this board have very good luck with band over bypass. We have seen them have lots of trouble from the band however, reflux, throwing up,  inability to eat solids,among others. I wouldn't do it personally. Why are you considering it?

shay51
on 6/3/16 3:32 pm - Tulsa, OK

My other option is a Duodenal Switch. After the Dr. told me what he would have to do to do the DS I felt like it was too risky. 

hollykim
on 6/3/16 7:25 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 3, 2016 at 10:32 PM Pacific Time, shay51 wrote:

My other option is a Duodenal Switch. After the Dr. told me what he would have to do to do the DS I felt like it was too risky. 

what is wrong with your rny?

shay51
on 6/4/16 9:35 am - Tulsa, OK

I had a Silastic ring around my pouch that eroded into my pouch over time. It has recently been removed and suggested that the lap band would benefit me. The surgeon said that he would have to undo my RNY and re-route my intestines and sleeve my stomach in order to do the DS. I am doing the what ifs now....what if I should have had the DS done instead of LB. The LB and DS are both new to me since I have had the RNY for 16 years.

hollykim
on 6/4/16 10:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM Pacific Time, shay51 wrote:

I had a Silastic ring around my pouch that eroded into my pouch over time. It has recently been removed and suggested that the lap band would benefit me. The surgeon said that he would have to undo my RNY and re-route my intestines and sleeve my stomach in order to do the DS. I am doing the what ifs now....what if I should have had the DS done instead of LB. The LB and DS are both new to me since I have had the RNY for 16 years.

a silastic ring is essentially a lap band, lap band is just another brand name. I think it is entirely possible that another band will erode the same way. 

I personally would  and do have a DS and it has been awesome. I wouldn't have a band at all.

ladygodiva1228
on 6/5/16 5:10 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On June 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM Pacific Time, shay51 wrote:

if you had a band erode once getting a second band is a big mistake.  Your pouch is not going to be strong enough to support another band.  I would do the DS if I had to choose between a band and the DS. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

fr1endly2
on 8/7/16 5:49 am - Ridge, NY

I had a band over my gastric bypass on june 15, 2016... i regained

in my 11 years about 60 lbs.   

So far banded i lost 16 lbs

bypass/ lap banded

6/1/2005...6/15/2016

310/169/?  228/207/??

Lisa 

shay51
on 8/7/16 4:01 pm - Tulsa, OK

So glad to hear this. I had mine done July 26. From the day I got my surgery date I have lost 23 lbs. I had a few complications due to previous surgery so I had to stay 3 nights in the hospital instead of overnight. 

1Blessings
on 9/10/16 7:41 pm

Hello,

Are you saying that you got the Lap Band 2 months ago and lost 16 pounds?  Are you satisfied with the results or do you desire a weight loss greater than 16 pounds.  I had gastric bypass 12 years ago and it was sucessful the first five years.....Now I am considering the lap band.

Most Active