Is it my body or my head?

dlrankin
on 6/9/16 4:15 pm

I have had my lap band for nine years now and for the last 5 years I have slowly been regaining my weight. When I initially got my band I was a regular exerciser (4-5 days a week) and watched what I ate. I got out of both habits when I was having some personal issues and slowly the weight started to comeback on. I don't want to make this a long diatribe but long story short, here I am 45 pounds heavier. Did I ever think I would be back here, no! In fact I swore this would never happen to me. However, a few hard times and more than a little  emotional distress and it did happen to me. 

That leads me to wonder.......My band is still in working condition although I have had my issues with it over the years. It did what it was supposed to. Or did it? Was it the band, the lifestyle change or a mixture of both? When hard time came to my life I ran right back to what I knew would give me comfort, food, and right back to terrible habits. No excuses can hide the truth of weight gained. 

That makes me wonder if the revision I was considering would really be in my best interest because the old saying, the surgeon fixed my stomach but he did not fix my head. I think I finally understand the wisdom this statement reveals. 

This post is mostly me rambling and trying to come to peace with what I have done to myself and wondering if I have the strengh, courage and wisdom inside me to finally fix my head and get real about my issues with food. 

Humbly

Doxie

Hislady
on 6/14/16 3:47 pm - Vancouver, WA

The band is not only a bad surgery but it is also not expected to be used long term. So a revision could alo help you to have a better (more successful) surgery. I also believe for some folks a time of counceling can also be helpful to deal with some of our mental trip ups and triggers. So the ideal thing would be a revision and counceling both.

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/16 8:47 am

I think everyone has that fear to some degree.  What you can bank on is total regain (plus friends) without restriction.  

You are older, wiser, and you are a vet. You have been around the  block a time or two. You aren't a newbie.  You know what you need to do.  Do you want weight loss bad enough to do it?

Either way, the band is going to go eventually.  Better now than after it's an emergency.

Most Active