lap-band with plication.....

BayouGirl
on 8/31/16 1:12 pm

So, I just left the seminar and had about ruled out the lap-band but he really talked it up with the plication.  This was the first I have heard of it.  I"m not finding much info either.  Has anyone had it done and if so how is it going?

rachelp
on 8/31/16 3:00 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

Don't do it! Check out the revision forum. Lots of people get revisions from lapband to RNY. But unfortunately it causes irreversible damage. So does the placation. Plication has been know to cut blood supply off. That sounds like two bad wls procedures in one!!! If you are thinking about this because they tell you everything is reversible, that is completely untrue!!!

BayouGirl
on 9/1/16 8:10 am

Ok, thanks for the reply! The doctor was really talking it up.  I had never heard of it. 

rachelp
on 9/1/16 8:31 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I get it, those procedures seem safer and reversible but they are bad news. I saw that you are looking into the sleeve and have issues with GERD. I had major GERD. I used to wake up in the night chocking on stomach acid. But come to find out I had a hiatal hernia. My surgeon repaired it during surgery and I have had NO problems since. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Hislady
on 9/7/16 9:08 pm - Vancouver, WA

I totally agree with Rachel! The band and plication are both horrid surgeries, I've been on thee boards since 2006 so I seen and heard it all! I know sooo many people with permanent damage (myself included) from the band and more recently the plication. Surgeons get all excited every time a new surgery comes along and then they all want to do it. We oldtimers were basically guinea pigs for the band but we didn't find out about it until years later. There was some shall we say "backroom" deals made between the band manufacturers and the FDA to get a rush OK on the band before much formal testing was done. We ended up being the test groups and then we started having issues after a few years.

It can cause severe and permanent esophageal damage that will never repair itself. Once the esophagus is damaged it is damaged for good. I know so many people who can barely eat anymore, yeah they lost their weight but not in a healthy way and not without much pain and continued stomach problems. Most of us agree we would rather be fat again than lose our quality of life from the band. The sleeve is a great surgery as is the duodenal switch. Read on some of the forums here to get an idea of what real life with each surgery is like. Folks here will give you the real story!

BayouGirl
on 9/8/16 1:58 pm

Thanks for the reply's! I have been reading about the sleeve for almost 2 years.  I am just so scared of the GERD I do have it now. Have been on nexium for 10 years.  I really want to stop taking it! Not add more to it if the the sleeve goes bad for me. I know it can go either way. I DO NOT want rny and I don't think I have enough weight to lose for it.  I need to lose about 70 about pounds. 

I just wish I could do this on my own! UGH

Hislady
on 9/20/16 6:55 pm - Vancouver, WA

Have you ever tried just a strict low carb eating plan like there are so many of now? I have found that is the only way of eating that keeps the weight off and I can eat almost as much as I want to. I only eat about 20-30 carbs a day when I'm following that type of eating, I'm extremely carb sensitive, as are most over weight people. I can pretty much eat as much protein and veggie as I want and that fills me up. I had to re learn a whole new different way to eat but it has gotten me to goal and maintaining without much work at all. I'm also handicapped so no exercise at all while losing weight. You might want to try since you only have the 70 lbs to lose. Once I got to goal I was so used to eating this way that I didn't change much when I got there. I can have some extra once in awhile but don't often even desire something different from my normal foods. 

BayouGirl
on 9/22/16 7:43 am, edited 9/22/16 12:44 am

I have tried doing that and I last for about a week some times less! Why does losing weight have to be so freaking hard!

Most Active