Erosion

Sonja M.
on 9/27/16 2:23 pm

I'm curious to find out what other lap-banders have experienced regarding erosion.  My lap-band was placed in 2007 and I dropped 70 pounds in the first 6 months, but not an ounce more.  A couple of years later I moved back to my home state of Illinois.  In 2012 I sought out the sole bariatric surgeon in town to get a fill (hadn't had one since 2009, and had a total of 6.5 cc's in my 10 cc band).  The doc said he was able to put in 7.5 cc's when he only should have had room for 2.5.  He ended up removing all the fluid and sent me for a barium x-ray.  He said that I had a slip and then refused to treat me further because he did not do my original surgery (pretty common response). 

Fast forward 3 years to 2015 (after moving to a bigger city) when I sought another bariatric surgeon to remove my band -- after all, it hadn't had any fluid (i.e., no restriction) for 3 years.  After 2 more barium x-rays, 3 endoscopies, and a swallow study, he determined that my band was eroded into my stomach and needed to come out.  The removal was done in October 2015.  After surgery, my doc said that the band was 80% inside my stomach and that massive scar tissue had formed over the outside of my stomach encasing the band.  On August 9, 2016 I had RNY surgery (essentially a revision) - he wouldn't do the revision when he removed the band in order to let my stomach heal. 

Prior to - and after having lap-band surgery, I don't recall being aware that erosion was possible - but I have a lousy memory.  I'm curious how common this happens and to find out what others have experienced.  I appreciate the input. 

HW - 285 RNY revision surgery weight - 237 GW - 140 CW - 180

M1: -17#; M2: -7#; M3: -10#; M4: -7#; M5: -8#; M6 thru M11 -8#; M12:

Lap band surgery - 8/8/2007 -- lost 70 pounds (maintained 60). Band removal due to erosion - 10/12/2015. RNY revision surgery 8/9/2016.

annie0039
on 10/5/16 11:57 am

Hi Sonja

Well if you were told or read anything when you were originally banded it would say 1% chance of erosion and Rare at best HA!!  But the rate is actually closer to 5%-10%. Which I believe is close if not higher, Either that or everyone that has had an Erosion  is in the Group that I admin. on Facebook because the rate is pretty high in that group.

Most Active