Band slip

Courtnin
on 11/14/16 8:57 pm

So.. I've had my band for 4 years this month, I lost 120lbs and have kept most of it off. Ive never had a fill.Never had any band complications until now. Suddenly I was having insane pain eating, the food would go down but when it would begin to digest I would be in pain. My surgeon is 8 hour drive away from me, and only covered me for 2 years and my family doctor doesn't have any knowledge surrounding the lap band. So I put myself on a liquid diet and went to the ER, they took a x ray and the doctor said it looks like my band has shifted and to stay on Protein shakes etc, so she referred me to a gastroentrologist but now they're telling me it's a 6 week wait just to get a endoscopy.. 6 weeks just to have it looked at is just absolutely insane to me.. I'm assuming I'll need surgery to have it fixed or removed!? Wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and what their experience was like and what the heck to eat when you have a slipped band?
Thanks in advance :)

annie0039
on 11/15/16 3:11 pm

Hi Courtnin

If the band has slipped it depends on what kind of slip it is, in most cases yes it may need to be removed. If it's repositioned then most likely trouble will follow :(  I personally wouldn't Wait for the Endo I'd find a different Dr. to do it for you. Pain in the stomach sounds more like an Erosion than a slip,  ( but of course I'm not a Dr. just heard from over 3000 ppl with band complications on Facebook. I'm surprised that the ER personnel were able to see much on the Xray. just because he said it slipped means it's not in it's normal position. But, more importantly what position is it in?? Have you had any bouts of Vomiting that is a huge reason bands slip , but not the only reason. I'll attach a link so that you can read about Slippage and symptoms.

I hope you find answers !!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038361/?report =classic

Hilarious
on 11/24/16 5:41 pm - Coram, NY

I was diagnosed with a slipped band in 2015. In my case my band was too tight. When I ate food it sat on top of the band so my stomach came up through the band into my esophagus to digest the food. The doctor immediately removed the fluid in the band. I was told my band had to be removed. No other option but that.

A year ago I had my band removed and revised to RNY. I feel great with this change. No more food getting stuck and no more throwing up. I've even gotten off the acid reducer I'd been on for years.

Sorry for the slip and good luck in your decisions ahead.

Hilari

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

Patty R.
on 11/27/16 12:38 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I found out my band had slipped during a scan looking for a clot in my lungs. The band needed to come out but I had to wait 6 months because I had to be on blood thinners. During those months I still ate protein 1st, in the consistency I could tolerate. Some times mush, sometimes solid meat chewed very well. I did start to gain weight, slider foods don't stick around so hunger comes back soon.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

Travelher
on 1/27/17 3:23 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

Use this as an opportunity to revise to another surgery, where you need repeated corrective surgeries,  I revised to rny and I love it!

Most Active