What do I do now?

yvonneowens
on 1/13/17 12:47 pm

I have a lapband I got in 2004. I have never used it. Never had a fill. I am now going to be getting my fills. I didn't think I would ever be able to get them so I gave up. Now im 48 and need a hip replacement that they wont do until I lose like 200 pounds. Not being able to exersize or move much is a big problem with that. I have never been to any classes and really cant afford to go to them because it is a 100 mile rt for me to the closest one. I don't know ANYTHING about this. It is like having a new sports car you can't drive but atleast you have it. I won my band off the internet so getting it was kinda different than most of yall who self pay or used insurance and saw doctors. I didnt get to do that.  How do I learn to eat now? I dont even know the questions to ask really because like I said I gave up but all of a sudden I have been blessed with being able to get them. 

jules50
on 1/13/17 4:02 pm
REALIZE Band on 03/16/16

There are a few good books on amazon, I learned how and what to eat. I also saw a nutritionist which told me the same things I had read. best of luck.

Jules

Travelher
on 1/15/17 7:10 am
Revision on 10/04/16

Why did You never get a fill?

yvonneowens
on 1/16/17 6:59 pm

Because I won the lapband & didn't use insurance or self pay. I also had to go to Mexico to get it. The Dr.'s in the states don't like to take you on as a patient if you go out of the country for surgery. If they do you pay like $1500 to become a patient. Around the same time my husband's job had us moving state to state & we weren't settled. Now we're 2 old disabled people lol. Now we are settled but poor so im working on getting help paying for the things I need in order to see the Dr & get started. The 23rd I do the blood work & upper GI.  

ladygodiva1228
on 1/17/17 9:07 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 13, 2017 at 8:47 PM Pacific Time, yvonneowens wrote:

I have a lapband I got in 2004. I have never used it. Never had a fill. I am now going to be getting my fills. I didn't think I would ever be able to get them so I gave up. Now im 48 and need a hip replacement that they wont do until I lose like 200 pounds. Not being able to exersize or move much is a big problem with that. I have never been to any classes and really cant afford to go to them because it is a 100 mile rt for me to the closest one. I don't know ANYTHING about this. It is like having a new sports car you can't drive but atleast you have it. I won my band off the internet so getting it was kinda different than most of yall who self pay or used insurance and saw doctors. I didnt get to do that.  How do I learn to eat now? I dont even know the questions to ask really because like I said I gave up but all of a sudden I have been blessed with being able to get them. 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but after having the lap band in for 12 years and never having seen a doctor regarding it you may not be able to even have fills done.  There are many long term complications that have come up for many people who had the lap band myself included.

Did you not have any form of insurance for the last 12 years?  I had my band done in 2003 in Mexico, but had no problems finding a follow up doctor here in the states that would do fills and my insurance covered them.  I had to revise to the bypass due to extreme reflux/heartburn and when my surgeon went in to remove the band it was inflamed and incased in scar tissue.

You need to find out if the band was placed correctly before you go for any fills.  Who is going to be doing the fills?  I ask because many surgeons will not perform the lap band and have stopped doing fills. 

If you have insurance now it might be a good idea to speak with a surgeon about a revision to the VSG, RNY, or DS.  You will have much better success in my opinion with them than the band. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

yvonneowens
on 1/22/17 6:52 pm

No I haven't had insurance in many many years. When I did have insurance they wouldn't do any weight loss surgery because I didn't have 2 years of Dr reported attempts at weight loss and I had no weight related problems such as high blood etc.  My Dr will be Dr Robert Marema in St. Augustine Fl. I go for blood work & upper GI in the morning. Getting started on this! 

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/17/17 1:55 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with
On January 13, 2017 at 8:47 PM Pacific Time, yvonneowens wrote:

What the !?! You won a lap band? That's not ok IMO.  What kind of doctor lets a person win a medical procedure much less offers no instructions to you on how to use it or follow ups?  If this is true, WTF and go to a doctor as soon as possible a large percentage of lap bands are being removed because they can cause a lot of health issues after a few years... yours has been in there many many moons.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

yvonneowens
on 1/22/17 6:48 pm

Lol yea I won. There is a company called belighter.com and they gave away a few bands. My Dr. Rumbault was actually trained in the United States & is a very well known surgeon.  Belighter is in a different state than me & it was up to me to learn what I needed to know. Life wasn't really allowing me to do that but thank God I haven't had any problems with it. Tomorrow I go for testing & im getting started on this. 

Sai F.
on 1/17/17 3:40 pm
VSG on 09/02/16

Looking on the bright side, I think there are a lot more books, sites, online support... Etc. for the band now vs back in 2004. I know in 2009, there wasn't a whole lot for me. I would suggest reading Dr. Duc C Vuong Ultimate Lap Band Success. I love his writing but I've only read the one for the Gastric Sleeve but I'm betting that the Lap Band one is just as good. Looks like it got good reviews too. 

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Donna L.
on 1/18/17 9:36 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You need to run, and not walk, to the best surgical provider in your area ASAP and get their opinion.  I am so sorry this happened, however getting hip surgery implies you have insurance.

I would suggest a large university medical center, as they often have some of the best surgeons in the country, as well as bariatrician.  They will be able to provide the advice and support you need.  Do not wait another day - call immediately.

Most Active