Constant PB-ing

annanyc
on 2/7/17 12:33 pm
Lap Band on 09/01/13

I got lapband in 2013 and it was pretty much the worst experience ever. I don't say that to dissuade anyone else- it's a numbers game and I got unlucky in terms of complications and just feeling miserable. I've never had a fill, and never felt much restriction. However, I did notice right off the bat that there were a few foods I'd eat that would cause me to PB. Looking at you, pastrami sandwich. The items that would cause this were rare- normally a lot of bread, maybe once per month, and when I was eating too quickly/not carefully. 

Four years later, I did lose weight, though not as much as I wanted to, and am now down to 165-170, which I've maintained within 10 lbs for about three years. It's not a happy weight for me vanity-wise. But I feel healthy, my lab numbers are good, I can jog a few miles comfortably, and I'd found peace when it came to maintaining at that weight.

About a year ago, the PBing started getting worse. Now I "barf" at almost every meal, except the straight junk food. Chips, ice cream, no problem. Pasta, salad, bread, meat- it all gets stuck. I actually haven't lost any weight, because ultimately, even though I throw it back up, I'm still hungry, so end up eating much less healthfully. 

Any ideas about what's happened? I'm pretty terrified about having surgery again, since the first time went so badly. But I know this probably isn't good for me, long term. I need to do something, but my insurance will be much better in about six months, so I'm debating waiting. Not looking for medical advice, but has anyone been through something similar? I'm guessing my band has slipped?

Renee C.
on 2/8/17 7:16 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Sorry this is happening. :(   I would not wait 6 months to get it checked out though.  A revision or removal sure, if there is nothing urgent.  Otherwise perhaps they can do a partial or complete unfill that will allow you to eat more healthy foods in the meantime.  Would your insurance cover a scope to see what's going on?

The problem with waiting is the impact on your stomach and your health if it is something serious. Perhaps if you explain the insurance situation they can try to minimize your out of pocket expenses right now and start with less expensive diagnostics?

Good luck!!

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Mell
on 2/9/17 8:12 am

I had a hernia Hietal I think is the actual name and it was causing similar issues.  I still have a little one (first one got fixed), what I do is go to liquids for 3 days then soft food for 4.  Then I pay attention, to everything from the time of the day to the weather.  I find that in the mornings I am tight so I have a veggie smoothie (veggies and 2%greek yogurt) then I sip warm or room temperature water through the morning, chew my vitamins and for lunch depending on how I feel I eat a salad, soup, or veggies and meat of some sort.  

I cannot eat cold stuff or drink them for that matter it tightens my stomach (since it is a muscle) and causes issues with my band.  Now I know this sounds like a pain in the ass but once you figure it all out it becomes second nature. I also know my triggers, pork for one, just cannot do it in any form! And over cooked seafood or eggs.  But I find I can eat nearly anything in soup I guess since it is warm, so I make tons of it, different varieties Oh and chili I make lots of chili.

Good luck! 

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

ladygodiva1228
on 2/10/17 6:32 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

You very well could have developed scar tissue around your band and it is causing the band to tighten on its own.  Before I had my revision I had an unfill for two years yet I still had restriction to the point of reflux/heartburn/pbing daily. When I went in for my revision my surgeon found my band encased in scar tissue and that was what caused the restriction.  It also damaged a small part of my stomach that had to be removed.

My advice is not to wait for better insurance as things can get worse.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 2/11/17 5:26 am

It's about your well-being and health, not insurance.  Being unable to eat suggests that removal of saline would be the first thing to try, but you've never had an adjustment.  You need to know what's going on.  The implication is that you're beyond a year overdue for an esophagram.  Stop taking polls and stop courting serious damage:  Make the phone call.

Valapp
on 2/21/17 9:15 am

I don't know if you have been keeping up with the Revision Forum, but if you haven't I would start there.  A majority of the people who have revised from lap band to RNY or the sleeve have done so because of symptoms like yours.  I had my lap band in 2009 and lost some weight but not as much as I wanted.  Because my port always flipped backwards, I was not able to get fills very often because it was so traumatic to get them.  Fast forward to 2014 and I started throwing up everything I tried to eat, had terrible acid back up at night, everything got stuck etc.  I started thinking about having my band removed so I started researching and discovered these symptoms start presenting themselves to most band patients after a few years.  I found a good revision surgeon and made an appointment with him.  An EGD showed scar tissue around my band and it needed to come out.  One month later he removed my band and converted to RNY.  He would only do RNY because of my terrible GERD.  It was the best decision I ever made.  To be able to eat without everything getting stuck, throwing up, no more pain etc. was awesome.  I have lost the weight I wanted to lose, am completely off blood pressure meds and feel so much better.  Don't wait to have your situation looked at by a doctor.  If your band has eroded or some other issue, you don't want to mess around with it.  You need to see a doctor ASAP.  Good luck!

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

Nic M
on 2/21/17 11:09 am

I'm so glad things worked out for the best for you. You've given such great advice here.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 4/2/17 7:25 am

You are you and someone else is someone else. Your band may have slipped or it may be in the famous fickle mode or something else. Waiting to make in appointment has a name: Neglect. It's your health and well-being that you're playing with. How's that for non-medical advice? Non-advice, in fact.

It's probably been at least two years since your last esophagram? What you do about it is your choice. I'm in the non-advice business.

Junk food -- chips and other crunchy things and anything sugar -- go down easily and never satisfy hunger.

You're risking more than weight gain. You're the one who must decide what to do about it.

All the best.

Most Active