* update * Going to be getting the band in 2 months... would love any helpful tips

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 7/16/17 11:35 am - CT

Not being snarky, but assuming you've read the many posts in the Lapband forum - how can you possibly be still planning on getting this terrible device? I just finished reading many of the posts and am amazed that any surgeon anywhere still performs this surgery.

Donna L.
on 7/16/17 11:48 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The pouch on the lapband can stretch and the band can slip off. I've had clients whose bands were not seen on MRI or CRT scans, and they had to go hunting for them surgically. It works by permanently scarring into the stomach, so revising to another surgery is a very difficult and dangerous procedure.

Drinking with food in the lapband pouch is a bad idea. It can stretch it, and odd pressure will displace the band. I have seen many stretched lap bands in the office, and about 11 of my 14 clients I saw with one had to get revisions due to complications - not because they wanted to.

My friend Daisy and I were on a podcast about weight loss surgery. She had a lapband converted to a sleeve. I'd encourage you to listen to her story and contact her. She was unable to eat solid food for months, and her port detached and flipped, so they could no longer fill it.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Beam me up Scottie
on 7/16/17 3:46 pm
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/story?id=13187452

This is a report by ABC that said that half of all lap band patients have to have their bands removed.

I know you don't want to hear it, but really consider that the surgery has a very poor track record.
babsinga
on 7/19/17 9:25 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi Tat,

Been on Obesityhelp since 2003. I was banded in June 2003. Lost 154 pounds . Went from 334 to 180. My band prolapsed 5 years out and I revised to a sleeve in 2008. The sleeve was great. I started at 238 and got down to 165. This lasted for about 9 years. I had chronic GERD from the sleeve and since I was an early sleeve revision, my sleeve was bigger than most. I found a doctor *****vised me to RNY to relieve chronic GERD, fix a hernia and to lose the weight I gained back over 9 years. Trust these folks when they tell you that the lapband would be a huge mistake. The rate of complications and the amount of work with fills and getting the restriction correct is not worth it.

Babs

HW 340

LW 165

Current weight: 216

Goal is 150 RNY 7/11/2017

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

Nic M
on 7/19/17 10:40 am

I got a band in 2003. Accompanying the band was severe referred left shoulder pain from damage to the Vagus nerve system. No one knew back then just how much damage the band causes that particular nerve. We do now, however, so many surgeons are opting to not damage their patients with a device that causes this problem. I guess there are still some who are either ignorant to the complications or they just don't care.

The band is terrible. The worst. It should be avoided.

I should mention that I had my band removed in an emergency surgery almost 12 years ago now. And the last three days I've spent in abject misery. I still have the damage from the band. It seems that it's not going to heal in this lifetime. So much for "less invasive" and "safer." I have gone to bed with severe left shoulder pain and woke up with it. I have ulcers and gastritis from my time banded. My diaphragm and esophagus were both damaged, as well. The band can do a real number on a body in just a short time.

And, yes, it very much does feel like choking when you have a band. In fact, all the blood vessels in my eyes broke a few times from the nonstop puking. It's not like "regular puking." It's much, much worse. I guess you'll be able to describe it after you get a band because you'll certainly experience it. If you try to drink water when you're stuck, you'll realize just how big of a mistake the band is. There is no "loosening up" food that gets stuck. If you eat rice and pasta and it swelled and didn't go down, your esophagus will work and work and work to either move it up or down. And it won't be able to go either way. It will stay put, but the muscles will just keep with the spasms in an attempt to move it. Sometimes this can last for hours. I've had episodes where something got stuck and it stayed stuck for days. It's quite painful and if you have to work for a living, you'll be spending a lot of time in the restroom. Bring a puke container with you while driving, as well.

Save yourself a LOT of misery and pain. Learn from what we have gone through with the band. It's a bad idea. I've been on this forum for way too long, just because I hate seeing anyone go through so many of us already have. It's frustrating to even see posts like yours when all the information is right here. What in the world would make you think the band is a good idea? Many insurance companies have implemented a "one WLS per lifetime" clause because people keep choosing the band. It's guaranteed you'll need another surgery... at least one more. And your insurance might very well say, "Too bad. We're not paying for it." They might even refuse to pay for the inevitable removal of the band, leaving you in pain and scrambling to pay for a surgery that you'll desperately need. It's happened to many, many people. Why not choose a better option from the get-go and save yourself the future trouble?

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

dwpersel
on 7/28/17 8:01 pm, edited 7/28/17 1:09 pm - Fredericksburg, VA

I have had my Lap-Band since March 2007 with no complications. I've lost 123 pounds and kept it off. It still gives me a notice when to stop eating. I would recommend having instant grits that you can add scrambled eggs and cheese to soon after surgery. That was my first meal of choice. Also ate a lot of homemade custard, cottage cheese and egg salad. Hope this helps.

At 10 plus years out I'm able to eat bread, rice, pasta, meat etc. I just have to remember to eat small bites, eat slowly and chew completely.

cuttinojo
on 3/20/18 11:51 am
Revision on 04/04/18

Thanks maybe I should be talking to you glad to hear there's a a lap band success story. so you had no complications and you still have it? how is it minimal pain after wards, how often do you get a fill?

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/17 10:39 pm
Most Active