dphillygirl’s Posts

dphillygirl
on 5/22/17 12:49 pm
Topic: RE: My Lap-Band slipped

Has anyone had a lap-band slippage that fixed itself by taking the fluid out of the band for a while? Or has anyone had a revision after lap-band slippage?

I had my lap-band surgery 8 years ago. I have lost 100 pounds and through a lot of effort (diet and exercise) I have managed to keep it off. I had experienced heart burn before having surgery but it did get worst after the surgery. About a month ago I started having what felt like severe heart burn so I went to a gastroenterologist to have an upper endoscopy done. I knew it was like no heartburn I had ever felt before but it still seemed like heartburn. Having heartburn for so many years I was afraid of permanent damage. I kinda thought it may be a bad slippage but I never had it so I didn't want to jump to conclusions. Long story short the doctor said my band had slipped. I went to my surgeon and he immediately said I need my band removed. When I looked up this problem on the internet it said that doctors would recommend taking all the fluid out of the band and waiting for a week or two to see if the band goes back in place. My doctor seemed to think that would be prolonging the inevitable.

dphillygirl
on 12/29/10 10:32 am
Topic: RE: Before and After pics
Also pictures are very important. A lot of us don't take pictures before we loss the weight because we don't like the way we look but they can be very inspiring.  Taking picture throughout my whole journey has been probably the most inspring thing I did for myself.  Hopefully I can inspire others.
dphillygirl
on 12/29/10 10:24 am
Thank you to everyone for your compliments and support.  I posted these pictures because I really needed inspiration to keep striving towards my goal.  It's been a long hard road. I had reached a plateau for a long while at only 60 lbs lost but recently started to loss again but the holidays where starting to get to me. Don't get me wrong I realize I did good but we never see ourselves as others do.  I'm not as confident as I look in this picture, my coworker told me to pose like that.  I don't really have a goal weight I just want to feel really as amazing as everyone else has told me I look.  I have been big all my life so I guess I have to change mentally as well as physically.  Your support means a lot.
dphillygirl
on 12/29/10 10:07 am
I wish I had a little less of my boobs but thank you for the compliment.
dphillygirl
on 12/28/10 12:12 pm
dphillygirl
on 1/12/10 8:41 am
Topic: RE: 9 months post-op - before & after pictures
Thank you everyone your words are very encouraging.
dphillygirl
on 1/12/10 8:36 am
Your so sweet. Thank You. I really have been learning from my band. Good luck in your journey.
dphillygirl
on 1/12/10 5:03 am

I just wanted to post some before and after pictures. I had my lap-band surgery 9 months ago and I am losing slower lately but I'm down 50 lbs now. I feel really good and confident that I will eventually lose the weight I need to because the band is working for me. I had a few family problems which caused me to stop working out but I'm back on track now. Without working out I have only been able to maintain my weight and not lose, which I already knew would happen. So for anyone who didn't already know it's not enough to just eat less you have to work out.

dphillygirl
on 10/3/09 2:06 am
dphillygirl
on 7/25/09 11:51 am
Topic: RE: I was banded july 1st
Hey miss, glad to hear your doing well.  I didn't start getting the hiccups until my last fill when things started getting stuck.  When I eat and the food has a hard time going down I start to burp but if the food is really stuck I start to hiccup, that's when I know it's bad.  It doesn't have to mean the same thing for you the hiccups just come from the food trying to go down that smaller opening and causing air to get trapped.
dphillygirl
on 7/2/09 5:43 am, edited 7/2/09 1:00 pm
Topic: RE: Im banded!!!!!
Congratulations.  Glad to here your feeling OK.
dphillygirl
on 6/26/09 1:50 pm
Topic: RE: What about Straws?
I'm two and a half months post op and it seems to be something I can never do again.  I forgot and used a straw more than once and at first I didn't realize the bad gas pain I had came from using the straw until it happened the second or third time.  It was really bad because it wasn't coming out it was just very painful.  I don't get that pain anymore because I make sure I don't forget.
dphillygirl
on 5/16/09 1:43 pm
Topic: RE: STILL STUCK 12 hours any advise
My doctor told me to crush all my pills but he did fail to mention that it's not OK to crush all pills.  I checked with the pharmacist to make sure it was OK to crush the pills I was taking before I did it.  Only one was not OK but it's really small.  I don't crush any pills any more I just cut them in half or if their really big I cut them in fours.
dphillygirl
on 5/14/09 3:16 am
Topic: RE: My first fill - question
If a doctor could tell you soft foods for 24 hours then obviously my doctors orders were just his opinion and not a written rule.  It obviously won't hurt me if it won't hurt you.  That's the reason I posted this question.  To see what other doctors said.  Just like the pre-op diet, some doctors say you don't need one, some say two days and some say two weeks.  The people who listen to there doctors and don't do a pre-op diet do just as well as the people who do it for two weeks.  It's all about your doctors opinion and your research and common sense.  I only had 3cc's put in and I wouldn't do that again after the next fills because I know something may get stuck with any more than 3cc's.  My doctor didn't even tell me how to eat after the fill I had ask him because I waited until I was walking out the door to see if he would tell me or if I would have to ask.  The only reason I asked is because I had heard it mentioned on OH that you have to eat a certain way after a fill.  I also heard you have to eat a certain way before a fill but my doctor said don't worry about before.  I've done everything else my doctor told me to without cheating, even a one week pre-op diet and a one week post-op liquid diet, one week of pureed foods and one week of soft foods.  I don't intend to make a habit of not following my doctors orders I just wanted to know what other people were told about this.  So your answer actually help me to realize that according to your docotor I did nothing wrong.  Thank You.
dphillygirl
on 5/13/09 12:55 pm
Topic: RE: Introducing myself: Lapband on June 10th in PA
I had my sugery in Philadelphia.  I know of a Dr. Katz here but it's probably not the same one.  I had my surgery at Mercy Fitgerald hospital right outside of Philadelphia, I think it's Darby, PA.
dphillygirl
on 5/13/09 11:46 am
Everything went down with know problem.  I could feel the rice going down though, it felt like a little burning feeling.
dphillygirl
on 5/13/09 10:46 am
I had my first fill yesterday and the doctor told me to have liquids for two days and pureed food for two days.  I did not follow his directions at all.  I couldn't even make it pass lunch today without eating some food.  I had tuna with no bread and a small piece of a yam for lunch.  For dinner I had baked salmon, brown rice and broccoli.

Could I be doing damage by not following the doctors directions?  I'm curious about how long other people have waited after a fill to go back to eating normal or what other doctors have said.
dphillygirl
on 5/1/09 9:44 am
Topic: RE: a GREAT protein powder
Did you ever try the strawberry?  I tried it and it tasted horrible.  I bought it because the guy in the store made a shake with the vanilla and let me taste it and it was good so I decided to try the strawberry.  I expected it to taste like strawberry milk but It was horrible.  The guy in the store made it with water.  I thought it would have been better with milk so I used milk.  But I think the shake I use now is great, it's called BSN Lean Desert Protein.  You get less for your money than you do with the Max Protein but I think it's worth it.
dphillygirl
on 4/19/09 7:17 am
Topic: RE: Am I eating to much?
I am in the mushy stage also.  I don't think it would be possible for me to get in my protein without the whey protein shakes.  I use something called Lean Dessert.  I found out about it from someone on this site.  It's so good.  I like Vanilla, Chocolate and Cinnamon. They sell it at GNC but they only sell Chocolate and Cinnamon.  You can also order it on-line.  They also have a sample pack with five different flavors you can try.

Also I eat baby food meats.  They're not bad once you put a little salt and pepper on them.
dphillygirl
on 4/18/09 7:34 am
Topic: RE: 2 days post op and have questions
I guess I wasn't normal, I thought I was.   My first two days I had a hard time with everything including water.  Everything felt like it just sat in my chest and I walk an walk all day trying to get rid of this feeling.
dphillygirl
on 4/18/09 7:05 am
Topic: RE: Pain under left breast
I am almost two weeks out (this Wednesday will be two weeks) and I had the same problem two days ago.  The pain got so bad it started to go into my shoulder and back.  Even after my shoulder and back started to feel better my ribs didn't seem to feel better until I woke up the next morning.  I didn't call my doctor because the pain went away.
dphillygirl
on 4/15/09 7:02 am
Topic: RE: Returning to work - a vent (grrr)
I had my surgery April 8th and until yesterday I don't think I could have attempted to go back to work and sit at a desk all day.  My doctor told me the healing process should be like it was when I had my gull bladder surgery.  It was so much worst.  He said I could go back to work in 3-7 days.  In three day I was still in serious pain every time I stood up and worst after sitting to long.  I stopped taking pain medicine by then because I hate taking those crushed up pills and I figured it was much better than before so I could deal with it.  Everyone definitely heals different.
dphillygirl
on 3/28/09 4:04 am
Topic: RE: weight and calorie tracking websites
sparkpeople.com is really good.
dphillygirl
on 3/28/09 4:00 am
Topic: RE: thrush?
My doctor said your tongue will turn white as a result of not getting enough fluid and to increase fluid intake.
Most Active