MEDICAID AND MEDICARE SURGEONS LIST!

Member Services
on 8/31/12 1:25 pm - Irvine, CA
Hello Members,

On a daily basis we get calls from members in desperate need of surgeons that will accept Medicaid and or Medicare for Bariatric surgery.  It breaks our hearts when we have to say "we don't know of any surgeons in your state we can refer you to". 

Can you please help us? If you know of any surgeons in your state that accepts Medicaid and or Medicare, will you list their:

Name

If they accept Medicare and or Medicaid

Phone number

Facility

Address

This list will remain here for our members to access and use.

Thank you so much!!!

ObesityHelp,

Member Services

drgnfly763
on 5/11/08 11:22 am
hi, i just started the process of going for gastric bypass surgery here in Ma and I am on both medicare and masshealth.  Great News.  The Tufts New England Medical Center in Boston accepts these insurances.  This hospital is one of the leading bariatric centers in the world.  The surgeons are Dr. Scott Shikora who the surgical director of the obesity consult center,and the professor of surgery at Tufts University School of Medicine in boston.  He has consulted and taught this surgery in other countries as well as the usa.    Dr. Michael Tarnoff the assistant professor of surgery at tufs a staff surgeon and finally Dr. Julie Kim also assistant professor of surgery at tufs university and a staff surgeon.They list this site for information on the surgery.(that is how i found it) and you can apply on line at www.tufts-nemc.org     obesity consult center.  you can call 617-636-5000 and ask for the obesity consult center, they are very nice and extremely helpful.  You can go to www.obesityhelp.com/surgeryrisks and they lead a discussion on the risks and benifits of the surgery and you can see a picture of them.     Also Tobey Hospital in Wareham Ma takes masshealth and I believe medicare or medicaid.  If you call medicare or medicaid they will tell you what hospitals they will cover,  The hospital must have a certificate of excellence on this type of surgery.  Tufts New England Medical Center in boston has a very low rate for complications and has not had a death from gastric bypass in over 3 years.  They move fairly quick,  I have 2 appointments the first week i called and i now have about 16 appointments in the next 6 weeks.  A meeting with the surgeon Dr. Shikora on 5/29.  Good Luck.......
mary B.
on 7/12/08 12:23 am - new bedford, MA
JessicaArmstrong
on 9/7/09 5:18 am
I am also going through Tufts for my Gastric Bypass surgery and they have been extremely helpful to me on my whole journey. Great people to be in the care of. I could not be happier. My surgery date is still in the air but I know it will be by late fall. Give them a call they are well worth the travel. I come from Cape Cod, the Harwich area.

illykatrina
on 5/22/11 10:29 am - Haverhill, MA
 i might have my weightloss surgery at tuffs but im also looking at other hospitals
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/08 12:43 am
Masshealth and Commonwealth Care Type II through Network Health are both accepted at the Umass Hospital Weight Center in Worcester, MA.
Nicole H.
on 7/18/08 7:30 am
Im at st elizabeth's center for weight control and have mass health... so far no problems.. i know they do not cover lap band but what i've heard from the NUT there, mass health does cover gastric bypass, it has to be medically necessary though i.e. I believe 2 or more co morbidties

Still Waiting for that day :)

Despinasdream
on 7/20/08 12:44 pm, edited 7/20/08 12:44 pm - Lakeville, MA
Hi I have Boston Medical threw Mass Health and Tobey Hospital does take it with a great team of  Doctors Kruger & Streeter Good Luck all...that's in Wareham,Ma. I should have surgery in 5 weeks it was a 6 month journey lots of info and work on our part but in the end we will be the ones who benifit...
EileenRae
on 8/12/08 11:11 pm
I live in Western Mass.  I have Mass Health, BMC and I got to PIONEER VALLEY SURGICAL http://www.pvsurgical.com/  They take most insurances But if you call your insurance they can send you a list of Drs that can help you
Juice
on 8/27/08 12:10 pm
The best thing to do is to call your insurance company and ask them what is covered, what isn't and what to do and who to call.  They can provide you with the information you need.  If the Customer Service Representative can't seem to provide you with the information, ask to speak to a supervisor. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 608 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2178 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4361 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4487 views