3 weeks post op

Aprilly
on 8/29/12 1:49 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
Just had my 6 week post op (albeit it’s only been 3 weeks) with Dr. Andrew – all is moving along nicely….well, except my bowels!   Down 15lbs since surgery (total 65lbs down since November)    Also met with Laura the nutritionist while there and she said that is too fast.      Need to add some more carbs in (via whole grains) and get my calories up a little bit too.    What should we be aiming for in terms of carbs?   Of course I didn’t think of asking that until in my car.   I’ve been averaging between 650-800 calories and getting at least 70g of protein, along with all of my water (little extra most days) and all of my vitamins.   Getting more than this will be some work, but I think I'm getting the swing of things!   Cooked veggies and whole grains have been ok’d… which Laura said should also help with my little problem too. Yay!     Oh veggies… how I’ve missed you!!   One thing I’ve noticed.   Everyone keeps apologizing for eating around me (those close to me know about the surgery) I find this funny – because this is the first time it’s never bothered me in all of the years I’ve tried to lose weight.   I’m always satisfied…. (as I look for wood to knock!)   3 weeks in and I’m already loving this tool!!    AND I’ve already noticed that I can cross my legs more lady like too!!
Steelguy
on 8/29/12 4:27 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
 Hi, I'm new here.  

Just wanted to way to go... Do you really feel better? I know it may be a dumb question. 
I am considering Jerusalem hospital for a gastric sleeve.   But have questions for my dr in Winnipeg 1st. Don't see any men on here, is this normal or am I on the wrong site?.
Any way I hope to be in your shoes soon.  
Jim

justmest
on 8/29/12 7:29 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
 The reason there are not many men on here, is because the trial program in Manitoba does not include men yet.  I went to Mexico for my surgery and there were a few men in the hospital that I was at.  I went to Dr Ponce de Leon, and was at INT Hospital and my care was fantastic. Just thought I would share my experience.  I am a woman, but did not want to wait 3 years for my surgery so decided to go to Mexico.

I saw my dr here before I left and he agreed to do my aftercare, and was very supportive of my decision to go to Mexico.  He seemed pleased to have a patient that has had the surgery that he can follow. 

I feel MUCH better since my surgery, more energy, more confidence, no more sore knees and joints. 

I love that I had the gastric sleeve and don't regret it at all.  I just completed 3 months. 

Welcom to the group Jim. Feel free to ask any questions.  
Referal weight 265, surgery date weight 243, ticker is all post op loss so add 22 to ticker loss

Steelguy
on 8/30/12 5:33 am - Winnipeg, Canada

I do have lots of questions and the 1st one is if my Dr says he will look after me if I get this done in MX then i'm sure it will be a done deal, thats my biggest scare.

I have been large my whole life and I always thought i could contol it and turn it off when I want, I was sure wrong. I have some serious back issues and I know it would help if I lost weight, but as I am having trouble walking now excersize really is not an option. I am so glad this site is here, I have so many questions...

I was told to go to Alberta or Sasketchewan to get surgery but the waiting list is almost as bad as the 4 years in Winnipeg.

thanks for the ear

Michelle_2975
on 8/30/12 10:52 pm - Canada
I got RNY done Jan 2010. It was the greatest thing that I could have done for myself. If you can self-pay, go for it. You mentioned that execise is not really an option. I had back issues like crazy and worried that I would not be able to do much exercise. I lost enough weight that when I finally started exercising, it started to improve rather than hurt like it used to.  There are a lot of great girls on this site that would answer surgery related questions.  There is a lot of information on the Manitoba site. Good luck with your journey.
its-killen-me
on 8/30/12 8:37 am - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12
Welcome to the group Jim.  We have meet and greets at Sir William Stephenson library, Next one is Sept. 15th from 10am till 4pm.  Everyone is welcome.  There are quite a few of us on the web,  site that have gone to mexico for our surgeries. Try to make it out, some people bring samples of protein powders to try and we can answer questions etc...
Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Teasha1
on 8/30/12 4:00 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
Welcome Jim - I to have gone to Mexico for my surgery.  I am on the waiting list here, but did not meet the criteria my BMI was to high but they keep you on the list in case the criteria opens up.  I was told by the Vic that if the criteria opened I would be number 200 on the list that meant I would be waiting at least another 2.5 years.  Since the criteria does not look like it is going any where fast I decided to go to Mexico, I do not regret and am very happy with the surgeon and his whole team.  I went to Dr Ponce de Leon; using his coordinator Trish.

Hope to meet you at the meet and greet on the 15th, take care.  Lorna

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

Michelle_2975
on 8/30/12 10:57 pm - Canada
If your bowels don't start moving get some miralax/laxaday. It is much nicer than a suppository  :D

Laura recommended to me at 6 weeks to eat about 1300 cals/day if I remember correctly. I wish that I would have ate less for as long as I could have. I regret upping my calorie intake so soon. Good luck with the calories.
Steelguy
on 8/31/12 7:30 am - Winnipeg, Canada
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the information & support, I wish i found this site a long time ago...

I also wi**** was sooner the the 15th to meet you all but I will see you then! I have tons of questions; especially regarding where to go to get the procedure done.

I kinda feel like a kid at Christmas (excited about hope).

Thanks Again,

Jim

mama-of-2
on 8/31/12 8:19 am - Canada
Hi Jim,
I had my RNY done here in November but I know alot of the girls have gone to Mexico and are very happy with the results. To tell you the truth, if I would have known about Mexico and have met the girls sooner I would have done my surgery there rather than wait here. When you hear Mexico, at least for me I was worried but I havent heard anything but the "good". If I knew then what I know now I would have jumped on a plane and had the surgery done years ago.
Whatever you decide everyone here is super helpful and supportive. 
I won't be at the Sept 15th M&G but maybe I'll catch you at the next one!
All the best! 
Most Active