I think I'm going to Mexico..thoughts?

ywgchick
on 4/13/14 6:46 am
VSG on 05/08/14

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to Mexico for a VSG.

I'm 40 and have a 37 BMI with no co-morbidities. I've tried twice now to qualify for the program here but have been declined. I don't want to wait till I put on another 15 lbs or develop diabetes to be accepted into the program so I'm thinking of going to Dr Ponce de Leon for surgery. 

My husband is supportive of whatever decision I make. I just about made the decision to do it 2 yrs ago but I got scared and decided to try to lose the weight naturally. All I've managed to do is put on another 10 lbs since then.

My GP is on board and told me he would support me when I got back from Mexico.

So..what am I waiting for?

To the people who went to Mexico:

• Did you feel safe there?
  • Any regrets? Was it clean?
  • Did you feel you were in good hands?
  • Was Tijuana scary?
  • How much did it cost?

I guess it just seems..I dunno..unreal..to go to Tijuana for surgery...help!

Dianne C.
on 4/13/14 6:57 am, edited 4/13/14 6:58 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

I went to Mexico to a different surgeon two years ago. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have no regrets at all. 

Tijuana wasn't scary. If Dr. Ponce de Leon's program is the same as the one I went to, you never need to be out of their hands if you don't want to. (There are a couple of people on here who went to him.)

I believe Dr. Ponce de Leon has a special price on right now according to some ads I've seen recently. 

My advice to you is GO! 

From the posts I've been reading about the Winnipeg program, you might never get in. The waiting list now seems to be several years and a lot of people seem quite unhappy with the lack of information they've been able to get. 

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Dianne C.
on 4/13/14 7:03 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

Are you on the two Facebook groups for Manitoba bariatrics? There's much more discussion going on there. If you are on Facebook and want to join the groups, send me your e-mail address (privately if you like) and I'll invite you to join.

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

ywgchick
on 4/13/14 7:25 am
VSG on 05/08/14

Hi, I am a member - just posted it there now. Thanks!

CindyN53
on 4/17/14 7:04 am - Gimli, Canada

Hi there...I was trying to find information on facebook for the manitoba bariatrics support...did not find anything. Could you provide more information on how to find the group? Tks so very much. I am considering going to mexico for my surgery.  Scared of course. But excited as well.

Dianne C.
on 4/17/14 8:43 am, edited 4/17/14 8:44 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

Hi Cindy

You can't find the groups because they are secret. The only way to join is by invitation. If you send me your e-mail address associated with your Facebook account, I will invite you. There are two groups. I'll invite you to both. Send me a message privately if you prefer, rather than posting your e-mail on here.

Dianne           

TeashaLorna
on 4/13/14 7:27 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I went to Dr Ponce in June of 2012 and had Trish as my coordinator. I had an awesome experience and have had no problems at all. I felt totally safe there and in fact looked after much better than the medical system here in Manitoba.

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

unis
on 4/13/14 10:32 am - markham, Canada

Hello ..i went to  Tij almost 1 month ago cost me 4300.00 dollars plus airfare ..i always felt safe and the healthcare is amazing !! I highly recommend it to everyone who is considering and i went alone and im glad i did ..lots of people to meet at the hotel and clinic and felt safe every minute ..Just do it ...u will never regret it ..Viola 

Madelaine2000
on 4/14/14 12:05 am

I too went to Dr. Ponce de Leon in Tijuana May 2012. It was an uneventful surgery and we were never scared or concerned for our safety. Probably the best care I have ever received! Because Tijuana has such a reputation we worry, understandably. If you said you were going to Cancun or Mazatlan, it somehow "sounds" safer?? And yet those cities, as well as others also have their share of crime etc. I only shared with a few people as seeing the look on their face when you say Tijuana was tiring after awhile (defending your decision) but then again, I didn't want to disrespect a city that gave me the opportunity to afford a lifesaving tool!! I now talk about it proudly because my home country, where I pay taxes and contribute to society, would have me wait years. From the minute you land to the minute you take off to come home you are always protected and will have nothing to worry about. Oh and clean?? The cleaning staff were always washing floors, emptying garbage from my room up to three times a day, always busy doing something whether it needed it or not. Would do it again in a minute!

Referred Dec/2011
Acceptance letter Jan 24/12
VSG MAY 22 DR. PONCE DE LEON MEXICO
7.5 months - 70 pounds!!!

ywgchick
on 4/14/14 1:05 pm
VSG on 05/08/14
Most Active