Foods you can't eat after gastric bypass surgery

Dannie66
on 9/8/17 8:09 pm
RNY on 06/05/17

How long did it take you to get to this point. I'm 3 months out after having the RNY surgery

losin4life
on 4/24/14 9:39 am

Hi everybody i am having the gastric sleeve surgery in mid July. Just looking for the truth about all the information out there. I was  informed today by a friend,  if i eat even a tiny amount of sugar after surgery it will kill me. Note to self don't tell your friends about the surgery. Has anybody else had this experience pre surgery?

AmusedOne
on 9/23/09 9:05 pm - York, PA
So far I have been able to tolerate a few bites of anything I have tried... EXCEPT mandarin oranges... I bought a jar, rinsed them and put them in sugar free jello... Two bites and it was over...  I had issues with gravy early out, but that seems to have resolved itself, so it is important to keep trying things slowly... 

I have no "intolerable" foods that I can't live without... I also know that even if I can eat it, and it is GOOD for me, I can't live on salad, I have to get my protein...  As much as learning how MUCH I can eat, this process has been about learning what I SHOULD eat and how to get enough protein a day to keep me healthy.  

The past six months has definately been a learning curve.  Not only am I learning things every day about protein, vitamins, etc. but I have learned so much about myself...

Next thing up to learn for me is how much more comfortable a plane is after losing 125 pounds - and if I still need a seatbelt extender!
Angie
Sugar Free Candy
on 9/23/09 11:34 pm - VA
HIJACK!  Just noticed you've lost a bunches - congrats!
Jilly Durbin
on 9/24/09 7:26 am - Pasadena, MD
Me too with the Mandrin Oranges. I wonder what that is. I get sick if I just eat ONE!
 And I rinse it too. I still cant take milk at all not even a drop in coffee. I get sick fast.

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/09 9:50 pm - Elkridge, MD
Same here, haven't found a food I can't eat yet. And, my surgeon never gave us a "DO NOT EAT" list. His words of wisdom have always been:

1. Protein first
2. Get all those vitamins, minerals and liquids in
3.Remember calories in have to be less than calories out to lose weight. If it goes the other way around, you'll gain
4. Listen to the pouch

I can eat a hershey's kiss, I can eat a sausage for breakfast, I can have a few bites of any kind of egg. If I go beyond that, I know I'll be sick. Anytime I have something new, I have to remember to take a little bit and wait to see how my belly responds. But, thank heavens, I have yet to find a food I can't tolerate at all.

P.S. Angie: mandarin oranges? Maybe it was the syrup?
Jilly Durbin
on 9/24/09 7:27 am - Pasadena, MD
You tolerate hersey kisses? OMG! I tried one at 7 months out and got soooooo sick yet I can tolerate 5 m&ms at a time. Ugh lol
justthebeginning
on 9/24/09 11:21 pm - Cambridge, MD

I wish I were you.  I can tolerate anything and that leads me to trying more.  I refuse to revert to old habits.  The only thing that I really cannot eat is spaghetti.

Lisa Z.

When we believe, all things are possible!

AmusedOne
on 9/24/09 7:30 am - York, PA
The oranges were in natural juices... I even rinsed them and put them in SF jello...

I have had half a cupcake, watermelon, half a banana... I am not a big chocolate fan, so I haven't really tested that boundary - and most likely never will have the urge too...

I can eat sausage but I remove the skin and blot - my husband laughs at me, but he likes them for dinner with mashed potatoes and baked beans... so I eat a sausage and some beans... It works for me...

LOL
Angie
Maureen C.
on 9/24/09 1:07 pm - Halethorpe, MD
Nothing has made me sick yet.  I've been very careful, but I've also had a bite of anything I want!  I kind of wi**** was the other way around, but am happy that I can be somewhat normal.  The only thing that doesn't quite agree with me is steak and only because it just hurts going down.
Maureen C. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Therapist Recommendations?
marshmallowstar · 0 replies · 1833 views
Revisions
sauniee · 0 replies · 2786 views
Support
Lalaredd · 3 replies · 4000 views