Maryland Obamacare: Has Anyone Gotten WLS through it? Considering Switching...

ireadalot2
on 10/6/15 2:07 pm

Hello All,

I presently live in Montgomery County, MD and I have health insurance through my husband's employer. We do not qualify due to income for Medical Assistance. My husband's policy specifically excludes ALL bariatric surgery, regardless of need.

I am considering switching to an Obamacare plan, even though it would be quite expensive, in order to get the gastric sleeve I have been wanting for over 10 years.

Has anyone here successful done weight loss surgery through Obamacare? The plans I looked at seemed only refer to the doctors at INOVA Fair Oaks in Northern Virginia.

Thanks!

MTS31801
on 10/2/16 6:52 pm

I know you posted this about a year ago. I live on the eastern shore and have Priority Partners through Md Medical assistance.  I am just starting my weight loss surgery journey. I have 6 months of nutritional classes, logging all my food, loosing five percent of my weight. I also have to have a psyche evaluation, sleep study, and cardiac check up. So far I have not had to pay for any of it. One thing though.... the only hospital they will let me have the surgery at is Johns Hopkins Bariatric Center.   So I will have to travel over 100 miles to do this!

Hope this helped if you haven't changed insurance's yet!

ireadalot2
on 10/3/16 5:39 am

Thanks for the response! Over a year later I STILL Haven't had my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, but I'm trying to prepare for it on my own as a self-pay. Glad that your insurance is covering it! Will you have a friend or relative drive you to the surgery? You will likely stay 2 or 3 nights in the hospital to recover afterward, right? 

Would love to hear about your experiences! Who is doing your surgery and which one did you choose? 

MTS31801
on 10/3/16 9:23 am

Good morning! Glad you haven't given up on your surgery. I am really leaning toward By Pass surgery. I'm a big girl and have a lot f weight to loose (BMI 65.4). I have had my consultation with Dr. Schweitzer back in August. I have started my Nutritionist appointment which is required Priority Partners ( 6 months consecutively). If I miss one I have to start all over. Dr. Schweitzer is extremely well know for Laparoscopic bariatric surgery. He was the first to introduce it into the bariatric field. So I am confident that he knows what he's doing. Some reviews I have read say that he's a very straight forth type of person. Gets right to the point! He's not got a warm personality. Which is ok with me. What he lacks in personality he makes up for in experience!

As far as driving to Baltimore goes, I most likely will drive myself. My friends all work and I don't really want to bother them.  However that may change over time. Right now I'm focusing on these Nutrition appointments.

Good Luck, I hope your able to get your surgery soon. Research your surgeon. Find out everything you can about them. Read reviews and talk or text or message people who have been prior patients. Gather as much information as you can. Be prepared!

akindofmagick
on 1/13/17 8:54 am - MD

Dr. Schweitzer did my VSG procedure back in June 2015. Can't say enough good things about him and his team!  :)

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Therapist Recommendations?
marshmallowstar · 0 replies · 1824 views
Revisions
sauniee · 0 replies · 2776 views
Support
Lalaredd · 3 replies · 3993 views