Anyone take 5HTP?

PinkDawn
on 1/1/07 12:30 pm - Waterford, MI
I was wondering if anyone takes 5HTP. I have a friend who swears by it for depression. I just did a search and read it may also help in weight loss. I am planning surgery, but have 15 pounds to lose first, and also am slightly depressed. I'm skeptical though and thought I'd see if anyone has any knowledge of this?
Brenda M.
on 1/2/07 7:03 am - Westland, MI
Hi Patty, It's funny you posted this.....I am on my way to Vitamin Shoppe to get my protein powder and I was going to pick up some L-Hydroxy Tryptophan, which is the same thing as the 5htp, I believe. I have read studies that it is good for mild depression, but the studies are inconclusive for weight loss. From what I read is that the improvement in the depression could be the result of the weight loss, not really a side effect of the suppliment. I will let you know how it goes! Brenda
sarah !.
on 1/2/07 11:31 am - flint, MI
hi. i've tried it in the past and didnt experience a mood lift or weight loss but i'm bipolar. i take topomax. just started it, that is actually prescribed, in some cases As a weight loss drug. and an ant-depressant. u might wanna look into that if u want a prescription drug. my friend lost 80 pounds on it and if u google topomax you'll see similar responces. but i hope the triptophan works for you if you want that. good luck -sarah
jbwise
on 1/2/07 12:50 pm - MI
I've used st johns wart in the past.
Most Active
Recent Topics