Looking for Support Group

Erika S.
on 11/8/07 2:34 am - Duluth, MN

I posted  a question in regards to finding any support groups and/or social group meetings in Duluth, MN.  I have my a surgical consult on the 26th of November and one of the requirements is to start attending a support group.  I called SMDC here in Duluth, and they advised me that the support group meetings are only the 4th thursday of each month, which happens to fall on Thanksgiving this year.  So, I would have to wait until after Christmas to be able to attend.   I joined OH May of this year and haven't had much luck in finding anyone in my area to correspond with via email or by phone.  I am starting to feel really alone in this process, although I do have the support of my husband and family it just isn't the same to have some one going through what we all do when we decide to make a life changing decision.  I know I have, gone on and on, but I again have anyone I can chat with in regards to this matter.  Thanks to anyone *****ads and responds,  I hope someone out there can give me the support  very much needed.  God Bless

doodlebug
on 11/8/07 2:41 am - MN
Check with someone at the support group to see if they are having a meeting on an alternate date.  Nobody likes to miss a meeting especially around the time of a FOOD Holiday.  They may be having the meeting just on a different day than normal due to the holiday.
Blessed are those who can give without remembering
And take without forgetting.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

May You Fly with Eagles
Run with Wolves

Walk with Buffalos

and

Always be my Friend

Erika S.
on 11/8/07 4:47 am - Duluth, MN

It was the surgeon's office they stated it would be a requirement to start attending a support goup and I called to ask them when /where to attend and was told at that time, support group meetings were on the 4th thursday of each month.

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/07 2:43 am - St. Paul, MN

hm. sorry you're not having much luck. who is requiring you attend a support group? your surgeon's office? or your insurance company? if it's the surgeon's office..........i'd imagine they must have one if they're requiring it. i'd start with them - ask the nurse or the front desk people - i'm sure whereever you're having surgery knows of something. you're not the first person to have surgery at the place & i'm sure not the only person that wants info on a support group. i'd also do a search maybe on google of "weight loss support groups in duluth, mn" and see what you come up with. have you thought about driving a little ways to attend something say once a month? or once a week? you might also be able to prove to who ever is requiring this of you - that OH is a support community where you learn & share, etc & you participate in message boards. just a thought. seems odd to require that but then give no options to obtain it. i'd call hospitals/bariatric centers within 100 miles & find something that works with your schedule. go once a month, go twice a month, go every week. it's a hassle to drive a ways but it's well worth it to get approved/fulfill a requirement! good luck!

Connie D.
on 11/8/07 3:08 am
I am sorry I can't help you ....we have a great group but we are in St. Cloud. You can PM me if you ever want to just ask some questions or just chat. Hugs, connie d
PamelaK
on 11/8/07 12:17 pm - Osceola, WI

HI!  Just wanted to wish you well in your search for a support group.  I know that there are groups of people on here that get togeter a couple time a month in different locations for coffee, support and friendship.  Perhaps see if there is interest in getting a group of people from that area getting together.  I would however also check again with the surgeons office to find out if they moved this months support group meeting to another day since the normal  4th Thursday lands on Thanksgiving....more than likely, they have moved it.  Worth checking out.  If you ever need to talk feel free to pm me.  I'd be happy to help in any way I can.  Come back often and post, it's a GREAT group of people on here!

Hugs And Kisses Pam   

Christi P.
on 11/8/07 12:45 pm, edited 11/8/07 12:46 pm - Mora, MN
I understand that there is an online group out of Grand Rapids, MN, and maybe they have some off-shoot coffee groups.  I'm sorry, I don't know the web address, and I haven't been able to google it.  What I will do is check with the Images facilitator for my clinic and see if she can give me that web address again (she was the one who told me about it).  You can also check out the Yahoo MN weight loss forum, maybe somebody there knows of groups in your area.  when I get that web address for the Grand Rapids group, I will post it in a new post, ok. Oh yeah, remember that this board is here for you for those moments when a meeting is nowhere near you.  It doesn't matter where you come from geographically, we are all in this journey together.

It's never too late—in fiction or in life—to revise.   Nancy Thayer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1338 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1129 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2595 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2688 views