OT: Shipping packages to overseas servicemembers

*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 11/8/07 6:57 pm - East Burbs, MN
Randys daughter Amy is in the Navy Reserves and currently stationed in Germany.  We are putting together a box to send out for Christmas and I need some direction. I have spent what time I have searching to find rules and regs to what can and cannot be shipped and all I am finding is when it should be shipped by.  I know its out there, but time is getting away from me..  HELP.. Obviously NO liquids but does anyone have any insight to what else..?  You ALL are the best folks ever!! Hugs and smootchies to you and dont forget to HUG a veteran this weekend!

Dana      

Lucy1972
on 11/8/07 8:07 pm - Luverne, AL
Here are a couple of websites that offer wish lists for items they collect to make up care packages, I hope this helps you: http://www.opgratitude.com/wishlist.php http://www.operationshoebox.com/index.php?option=com_content &task=view&id=12&Itemid=84
*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 11/8/07 9:09 pm - East Burbs, MN
AWESOME Lucy...!!  Both sites had exactly what I needed..  THANKS!

Dana      

Goldenmom
on 11/8/07 8:54 pm - Brooklyn Center, MN
Good Morning! Go to www.usps.com.  There is an entire manual for overseas' shipping.  That should help. Good luck & have a great weekend.  We are going to the stare adapted soccer tournament in Stillwater this weekend.  My daughter is the Robbinsdale Robins lead scorer & we are #1 seed.  GO ROBINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugs, Laura
Phenomenalfemale
on 11/8/07 11:14 pm, edited 11/8/07 11:14 pm - Eagan, MN
Hi there! I am a sister of 5 Army vets, 19 yrs service combined, tours in Iraq, Afghanistan, S/N Korean border, Haiti, Germany, Kosovo, Sinai/Egypt................you name it, I have shipped it! The new USPS pre-paid boxes ROCK! They are the cheapest way to ship APO AE these days. All you do is fill out the white claims form, and you are good to go. http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDispla y?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13359&productId=1 1697&langId=-1 Honestly? The US Postal service doesn't mind what you're shipping as long as it is claimed (loose interpretation here, I know). So for example, I sent my brother his cell phone at the end of his 2 year (yes, 2 years long) deployment to Iraq, and he was not allowed cell phones there while in combat. So, I simply labeled it "Electronoic Device" and "Personal audio player" as opposed to "cell phone"....all went along fine, and he was in, got his cell just prior to coming back to the US. The main thing they are looking for is drugs, alcohol, etc. I think as long as you claim what is in there (ie: if you have a fragile item, claim a fragile item so there's no surprises along the way), and you will be fine!!! Most service members can access items through their local PX (goods store), or online (my brother EBay'd on his days off from combat missions!!), so I would think if you can a servicemember items they request, or gift cards that can be used online, or even prepaid international phone cards (those went over well in the beginning when there was little phone access and lines were long), you will make them a happy camper. OH, AND COOKIES!!! HOMEMADE COOKIES!!! WRAP THEM IN FOIL, IN GROUPS OF 6-8 COOKIES AND BAG THEM IN ZIP LOC BAGS X2, AND PLACE A PIECE OF SLIGHTLY (VERY SLIGHTLY) MOISTENED BREAD IN WITH THEM, AND THEY WILL BE MOIST WHEN THEY ARRIVE THERE!!!! WORKS EVERY TIME. Best of luck to you, and locally, just an FYI, we do have a Veteran's Day program!!! I am going! http://www.mdva.state.mn.us/ Megan UNTIL THEY ALL COME HOME!!!!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WORLDWIDE, UNTIL THEY ALL COME HOME !

*~ Dayner Dee ~*
on 11/8/07 11:28 pm - East Burbs, MN
Thanks for your awesome insight!!  Very much appreciated and I think Ms Amy is going to get a very big box of treats!!

Dana      

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1354 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1140 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2606 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2692 views