Night Sweats

kristi_lee
on 11/12/07 3:05 am - Grand Marais, MN
It has been forever since I've posted anything or even looked at this website, but I need some help, so I'm hoping someone can relate. I had my surgery 8/15/06 and I have been suffering night sweats for about 9 months if not longer. My horomone levels have been checked and everything is normal, no early menopause. I'm 31, by the way. We've switched birth control methods, I went from the depo shot to the pill and still nothing has changed. My doctor is at a loss for why this is happening, even my dietician said she has never heard of anyone having night sweats after having surgery. I've also been on trazadone, but still cannot sleep through these sweats. I'm getting to the point of getting depressed when night falls because I know it's another sleepless night of wet sheets and chills. Can anyone help? Thank you so much for listening. -Kristi
Mithrilflower
on 11/12/07 3:17 am - MN
Can't help you but sounds miserable I hope you find out what is going on.
Tammy A.
on 11/12/07 3:45 am - Maple Grove, MN

Sorry Kristi, I have them as well, but I have early menopause.  I sleep with a fan on me all night to help getting to warm.  I still wake up sometimes drenched.

Tammy

Lori J.
on 11/12/07 4:11 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi Kristi, I have night sweats too but not as bad as you describe.  I'm older than you (44) so I may be in pre-menopause.  I use progesterone cream and also take Estroven PM and I "think" it's helping...but who knows.  If yours aren't hormone related this stuff probably wouldn't help.  Have you googled Night Sweats and seen what else it can be a symptom of?  I know how miserable you are...so you aren't alone!! Hang in there and good luck!!

Lori J.

It's better to be imperfectly happy than perfectly unhappy. 

ConEB
on 11/12/07 6:39 am - Minnetonka, MN
I'm 50 and perimenopausal.  I used to take Evening primrose, which helped the moods, but not the sweats.  Then I added Black Cohosh..  For me it has been wonderful! I get it at Wally and it's not expensive. I take one tablet, 3 times a day.  It worked quickly for me. If I skip a day it catches up with me fairly quickly too.  It's worth a try!
Kathy O.
on 11/12/07 7:18 am - Minnetonka, MN
I wonder if its the Trazdone.  I was on that medication for about 10 years and I recently changed to Ambien but now that I read this I had night sweats up until the time I switched.  It wasn't as bad as you described but it did wake me up many nights. 

Start 323 ~ Current 199 ~

kitkat24
on 11/12/07 10:01 am
Kristi, Do you have any associated symptoms? I would be concerned with cough in particular. Are you employed as a health care professional?    Weight loss is also a symptom of what I am thinking. Have you ever had a Tuberculin Skin Test? If you have a cough, I'd get a Mantoux or Tuberculin Skin Test.  Night Sweats can be a sign of Tuberculosis infection.  Tuberculosis can be anywhere in your body, not just your lungs.  It can be in your lymph nodes, peritoneum, or just about any place it decides to grow.  But, If you have had a prolonged cough, I'd make sure the doctor knows and get a Tuberculin Skin Test Immediately and a chest X-ray.  Other than that, Menopause would have been my other guestimation, but your doctor has seemed to have ruled that out?!  Keep us posted. KitKat
strawflowers
on 11/12/07 12:16 pm - Lino Lakes, MN
My sister is on the same med and is having the same problem at age 38.  If the sweats started before the trazadone, I'd go to a gynie dr and see if she thinks your BC is an appropriate level. I'm on my 4th one in a year and they have finally tapered.  They aren't perfect, esp that 3rd week of the pack, but tollerable.  I also have a new theory, (which I'm full of when I'm self diagnosing) I wonder if a full bladder makes a difference.  I try to get my butt to the bR during the middle of the night and those nights do seem a little better. The last pill that I'm on now has more progesterone.  As for the cream, the one I took to the gyn said that the effects would likely subside after a few months. Good luck.  It AIN"T fun. and I've been putting up with it for 2 years.  Mine started about  1 year after surgery.  Also, if you were on any depo or BC when hormone levels were checked, you can figure those results to be false cause you have to be off everything for them to be accurate. K
kristi_lee
on 11/13/07 2:34 am - Grand Marais, MN

I would like to thank everyone for all the help. I checked out all of the websites posted and have narrowed it to maybe medications. Thanks again, it was a big help.

Kristi

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1368 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1142 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2610 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2693 views