If you are stalling, this question is for you

Diamond Girl
on 11/13/07 10:01 am - Ham Lake, MN

Please let me preface this post by saying that I don't want a bunch of "my surgery is better than your's" type of responses to this, please - the other boards are full of it quite frankly. But, my reason for posting this is that I want to understand when you talk about stalling, what is your definition of stall? And, are you journaling through this time period? As a preop, I guess I am not understanding what defines a stall and this is something I want to understand (if possible at the pre-op stage).

And, if you had a malabsorptive procedure, which was it - RNY or DS, or other? Thanks for helping...just when I think I've done all my research it seems another question comes up.

Sandra N.
on 11/13/07 11:04 am - MN
Hey Hon!  Ask away!  That is what we are all here for!  Speaking from a RNY stand, a stall is when you aren't losing for a few weeks to months.  But in that time you can lose inches or not.  I was at a stall for a few months, but I was losing inches.  Then after watching what I was eating all of a sudden I started losing again.  Again, it depends on how much you had to lose in the begining, if you are following the rules, and which type of surgery.  I hope that helped ya a little.

~Sandie~ -147!!WLS:12-12-06:Preop 268,Ht.5'4",BMI 44.9
  Click on link to see my journey!!! 
http://www.onetruemedia.com/my_shared?z=2bfaca5561a1d558fceb
87&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

"Do unto others as you'd have done to you"~ The Golden Rule to Live by!
You are what you EAT and WHO you hang out with!  Choices=Outcome~ what's YOUR choice??
I'm not perfect but I am going to die trying!!!

Diamond Girl
on 11/13/07 10:27 pm - Ham Lake, MN
Thanks Sandie, good info!!
Farrah W
on 11/13/07 11:26 am - Tallahassee, FL

Hmm, you're going to get a lot of different answers to this question. I think everyone has a different definition of a "stall" or a "plateau". I got in trouble a few months back about having a different opinion about it.

All in all, a plateau is supposed to be an entire month where you don't lose either pounds OR inches. Lots and lots and lots of people are dependant on the scale, and freak out if it doesn't move for a specified period of time. You'll see a lot of cursing of the scale here. There's no way you can't lose weight immediately after surgery (months 1-6). Your body needs to play catch-up. There will be lots of one week periods with no weight loss. It's nothing to worry about and almost everyone goes though it in varying degrees. I think it happens to both RNY and DS people. It's the way our bodies are made and how they handle extreme weight loss.  Hope some of this helped and it wasn't too blunt of an answer.

Phenomenalfemale
on 11/13/07 10:14 pm - Eagan, MN

Hi there!

This is also the definition of a "stall" or plateau, according to my bariatric therapist!

Best,

Megan

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WORLDWIDE, UNTIL THEY ALL COME HOME !

Diamond Girl
on 11/13/07 10:29 pm - Ham Lake, MN
Thanks Megan!
Diamond Girl
on 11/13/07 10:28 pm - Ham Lake, MN

No flaming from me, Farrah. Thanks for your response. It helps me to understand the thought process behind what is a stall or plateau.

Laura M.
on 11/13/07 8:35 pm - St. Bonifacius, MN
I don't have an answer for ya, but I admire all your good questions. You are doing awesome on the homework, keep it up.
Diamond Girl
on 11/13/07 10:30 pm - Ham Lake, MN

You're too sweet Laura, thank you!

You are doing so awesome - it is so fun to watch all of you melt right before my eyes!

drama_mamma
on 11/13/07 9:24 pm - Lakeville, MN

I believe there are stalls for both restrictive surgeries.  I had the DS.

Though I don't believe it would be classified as a stall, my weight loss has slowed this month.  As of yesterday, I'd lost 3 pounds in the last three weeks.  Now this morning I'm down another pound.  However, I took out the tape measure yesterday and had lost 2 inches in my hips over that same three weeks. I'm not journaling but not because I'm in a stall.  I just don't have the time right now (or not making the time). I'm curious, those who are fast loosers - do they face more stalls due to their body needing to catch up versus those who loose at slower rates but maybe more consistantly.  Hmmm....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1338 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1129 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2595 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2688 views