post op questions? when do you see weight loss?

snowflower
on 9/28/09 12:12 am - Victoria, MN
Hi all

I am officially 5 days post op today.  I had lap RNY on Wednesday last week and came home Friday evening.

I have a few questions for you seasoned Veterans.

I'm on a clear liquids diet per my surgeon and dietician, I've been having about 50-70 calories a day between a few ounces of watered down apple juice and some clear broth, all my other intake is non-caloric drinks (nothing carbonated of course).

I'm actually feeling okay, I've managed to walk 3-4 10 minute walks throughout the day as well as just being up and about most of the day without too much discomfort.  I take my pain meds in the am, then again in the pm mostly due to back issues that complicate sleeping well(and I bought a body pillow yesterday and that is helping greatly)

I bought a new digital scale at Target, the WW one.  It was around $40 or so.  I thought I'd give it a try yesterday to see if I had dropped any pounds since surgery...

nope....exactly the same.

then I decided to try again this morning

up 2.2lbs.

WHAT?????

I called the nurses line and she agreed that I have done everything to the book and that "these results aren't typical", and "we'll see whats going on at your visit"

While I don't expect miracles, I don't, I didn't expect to GAIN weight during this first weel.  I am not retaining fluids, I pee like crazy, my bowels are working and I am walking.  I don't have puffy ankles, or any other symptoms of retaining water.

I really thought I'd drop a few pounds in that first week...was I just expecting too much?

Can any of you share your WL experiences in that first week - month

thanks

feeling dejected.

Hayley

Darla S.
on 9/28/09 1:05 am - Maple Grove, MN
Oh sweetie, I'd like to backhand your nurse.  These results are EXTREMELY typical!!! 
Stupid $)*$!&^'n....

At my 6 day post-op appointment, I was NINETEEN FRIGGIN' POUNDS UP from my surgery day!!!  Why?  IV fluids, getting most of my water in & all that.  You aren't giving your body much nutrition right now, so it's holding on for dear life to everything it can.  As soon as you can start feeding yourself some protein, and keep it up, your body will relax and let go.    By my one month post-op, I was something like 31 pounds DOWN. 

Take a deep breath, do everything as you're supposed to.  Shut out that stupid nurse's comments.  You WILL see significant drops.

Oh - and one more bit of unsolicited advice?  Either return the scale, or put it somewhere not easily accessible for a good long time.  You do NOT want to become obsessed with that whole number crap.  Your weight can fluctuate wildly throughout any given day, and if you get on a scale too often, you'll drive yourself nuts. 

WELCOME TO THE BENCH!!!

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

Stacy M.
on 9/28/09 2:21 am, edited 9/28/09 2:23 am - Woodbury, MN
Don't weigh yourself everyday.. I'll say that first thing... just drinking more water can make you go up a few pounds in weight.... you're better off noticing how your clothes are becoming more loose and how your body is changing..  Like Darla said, go put away your scale... I still get hung up on #'s... we like to know... but I was told by the RN and NUT and all the veterans on here.. don't use the scale or get hung up on numbers until you need to maintain... and they were 100% right.. I weigh about once a month just to have a number to post on my weight tracker... and often times I haven't moved much in numbers (perhaps a stall?) but dang, sure enough I lose inches and I go down another size in clothing... even if the numbers haven't moved.

As far as immeadiate post op #'s... you probably won't notice a big change till you're out a couple of weeks.. you're going to carry extra water post op from all the hydration and drugs during surgery.. and your body is healing and all that... Even if you don't seem "puffy"....

It will happen.. just give yourself another week or so.. all the sudden you're going to go whoa... and notice how loose something is... or notice a cheek bone where one wasn't before...  just do what you're supposed to do and it will happen on its own...

Rest... sip sip sip... walk walk walk... rest... sip sip sip.. walk.... When you are tired rest.. thats my best advice. I am 3 1/2 mons out and I still get tired and lack of energy at times... And I make sure I listen to my body.. its especially important post op so you heal good!

YAY! Welcome to the losers bench!

Stacy
I'M FINALLY A LOSER
  TOO!!!

HW 240  SW 229  CW 160.4   FG 150     FG 130-140          
highest   surgery   current        first goal   
final goal       

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1338 views
All In The Family