How long layed up before back to work?

-Vii-
on 3/21/10 1:06 pm - MN
Hi,

I am new to this site and am just set up for a consult for gastric bypass so far.  But was wondering on average how long it was before people went back to work after surgery.  I am hoping for the laproscopic surpery.  I  know everyone is different, but I have seen people saying 4 days and some sayiing 6 weeks.  I am a little concerned about having to take that much time off from work.  So was just wondering how it went for other people?

Thanks for the info.

Carolyn "Vii"

seashell6417
on 3/21/10 2:23 pm - Gaylord, MN
Your recovery time will depend on several things, including your tolerance to pain, how quickly your body heals from surgery, the physical and emotional demands of your job, you overall health, etc.  I consider myself one of the fortunate ones.  I had surgery on Friday the 13th and felt fine to go back to my job as a social worker by Wednesday the 18th but did not go bac****il Monday the 22nd.  I spend some time at my desk but the majority of my time is spent in people's homes and driving to and from their homes.
Tami

hartzzz
on 3/21/10 8:31 pm - Minneapolis, MN
No one can tell you what your recovery time will be, but you are asking what other people's experience was...for me I had open RNY and took a whole week off.  By the end of the week I was going nutz not being at work.  I had taken three weeks off, but went back after one.  A lot of it depends on what you do at your job.  If you pretty much sit at a desk, you should be fine going sooner and  once you are out of the pain and gas stage, you will be dealing with fatigue.  Consider even partial days if that helps you transition.

Welcome to the boards.

Paul
Crafty1
on 3/21/10 11:44 pm - Twin Cities, MN
I took six weeks off (my program's recommendation).  It was not so much for the recovery time as it was just learning how to eat and not being tempted by outside influences.  The job I was in at the time always had lots of food around.  I had basically a desk job, but at times had to do a fair amount of walking as it was a large company and I at times had errands on other floors, etc.  I was tired those first few weeks, so this helped in feeling good when going back to work after those six weeks.

Nancy  

christine G.
on 3/22/10 12:24 am - North Branch, MN
I have a highly physical job, I work at group homes, and I went back to work after my laporscopic surgery after 4 weeks.  Then, after my open revision, I was off for 6 weeks.

-Vii-
on 3/22/10 12:59 am - MN
Thanks so much for the help.  I realize each person is different in their recovery time, I am just hoping for the best and expecting the unexpected.

I basically have a desk job during the day also, so I am not too concerned with that one.  I do bartend part time in addition to my day job and might have to take longer off from that one cause that is more on your feet all night moving and carrying things.

I have enjoyed reading the different posts on this site.  Very helpful and good to hear how other people manage with things.

Carolyn "Vii"

dharmacvt
on 3/22/10 2:29 am - villard, MN
 Welcome!

I had Lap-band and was out of the hospital the same day.... my surgery was on a friday and by monday I was back to all normal activity.... I know this is different than R-N-Y but thought I would put my two cents in, just in case you hadn't decided on what surgery you wanted!

Good luck on your journey!
Dharma

Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen Twin Cities 3-Day for the Cure!
Leahjane10
on 3/23/10 12:41 am - Burnsville, MN
Hello!  I had my surgery on March 4th.  I totally UNDERestimated the time I needed off.  I took two weeks plus 2 days off, but was hoping to go back after one week (I also have desk job).  It's now 3/23 and I came back yesterday and worked 8am-1pm, I usually go until 4pm.  I got pretty tired.  I think...if you plan on more time than you need, then you will be pleasantly surprised if you get to go back early! 

Leah
-Vii-
on 3/23/10 5:58 am - MN
Thanks for the help! 

Was the delay due to being too tired or weak to go back as soon as you thought?  I am a little nervous about having to take that much time off.  My boss would be very understanding, but the amount of work I would have on my desk when I came back is what scares me. 

Carolyn "Vii"

Kevin E.
on 3/25/10 3:25 am - Minneapolis, MN

Remember that most surgeons will put you on a weight- lifting restriction...  No lifting over 20 pounds for 4 weeks  This is to prevent abdominal or incisional hernias.  The bartending and flinging buckets of ice and beer kegs will be off-limits for a month. 

I agree you should plan to be out longer than you think.  You will me so much more productive and healthy and more comfortable when you go back your boss will not mind.  :-)

YMMV

Kevin
KevinInMN

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1339 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1130 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2596 views
10+ years out -