Remember the Good 'Ol MN OH Board?

Diamond Girl
on 3/18/13 8:51 am - Ham Lake, MN

Long-time, no post...hoping to change that!

Go****hink it's been like 5 or 6 years since I first learned of this website and found the MN board. It was a crucial lifeline for me then as I was researching and contemplating WLS.

One thing that stuck out to me was the number of daily posts and the support we had back then on this specific MB. All the vets seem to have disappeared. That seems to be the way it goes. You get "normal" and you live life. What a great outcome, right?

But then there is this other side to WLS. They warn us about it in our classes pre-surgery. "That won't happen to me". Did you think that, too, as they talked about some of the negative outcomes of WLS? Like transfer addictions, regain, vitamin deficiencies, divorce rate, etc.? Well, I did. I had this mentality that it wasn't going to happen to me - I was PREPARED. Oh gosh, I wish!

For those of you lurking or hiding or who used to be a vet and haven't posted in awhile, or even if you're new...

What was one piece of advice from this website that helped you along the way?

For me, it was a MN poster, a treasured favorite of mine, that once told me "one bite, it's all we really need, one bite to remember how something tastes and that's enough". 4 years post-op and that STILL sticks with me. She was right, it's true. I *think* I have to finish the whole slice/piece/helping/service, but in all reality, I don't. If it's not good for my new post-DS life, all I truly need is 1 bite, savor it, and move on.

Yes, I have my moments, too, where I says "screw it, I'm eating this whole dang candy bar", but truly, I hate the remorse I feel after. So, the next time I have a meltdown, I remember "one bite!". And it usually works.

What advice was shared with you that you still carry with you on your journey?

lcarlson2
on 3/20/13 3:50 am - Otsego, MN

AMEN! I too was  veteran OH board member, more of a stalker but was always out there getting support which helped me understand that I was not the only person struggling with food. 

I had my Roux-en-Y surgery 10/14/2005 I had lost a total of 108 pound in the first year. Then the struggles really came called life. The weight started to come back I was able to lye to myself that I was sticking with the program and only eating 1 cup per meal. which wasn't far from the truth, But to be honest I could eat another 1 cup of food 2-hours later washing it down with liquid. To this day I know my pouch is still in tact because I still can't hold much at one time. 

All of my weight has come back officially as I had a check up last month. Well I have been so disappointed in myself I have decided there needs to be a change. At work I am doing 2 flight of stairs 2X per day. I know that doesn't sound like much but being 140 pounds over weight it is. I have also started walking between 1.5 and 2 miles per day during lunch.

As I am typing this I am starting to wonder why are you dumping this on someone you don't even know. Then I said this is what OH is for.

Thank you for your post, I haven't been out here for a couple of years and it is good to see it still going.

Linda

Diamond Girl
on 4/14/13 10:45 pm - Ham Lake, MN

LC! I remember your avatar more than anything, so glad you popped in and came out of lurk mode!angry

The difference one day can make - just remember to continue taking your stairs as a positive sign that you are changing your habits for a healthier new you. Even if it was done before, it can be done again. Who said it can't, right?

The best fight and most rewarding is the one for your healthier life! And if anyone or anything get in the way of that, including perhaps yourself (I know I'm my own worst enemy most days), then just take a quiet moment to reflect on that and figure a way through it. And when it seems a tad too tough, come here, bring it to the board. That's what this board was about. Let's restore it to that level! You're one of the champions and your pouch still works. Now make it work for you again.

Stay in touch & continued progress be yours!

mnmommaof2
on 3/20/13 11:11 pm
VSG on 11/23/12

The best advice I have ever heard didn't come from this board but I think it's pretty relevant.

"Comparison is the thief of joy."

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

Diamond Girl
on 4/14/13 10:46 pm - Ham Lake, MN

Too bad OH doesn't have a "LIKE" button! Thanks for sharing, great piece of advice!

AmyCorean
on 3/22/13 1:59 pm, edited 3/22/13 1:59 pm - Northfield, MN

It has been a long time since I have been here too.  I remember being here for hours every night researching, reading posts and getting alot of encouragement  here.  I am almost 6 years out and aim reminded that I need take things one day at a time and keep to the basics. That is the advice I have forgotten. 

I am ready to get back on track with my eating and to get moving again. I need to lose the 35 pounds that I have regained in the lat year and a half. I want to get back to OH again to reconnect with friends and make new ones.  I miss the support of the old MN board but it is good to see some are still here. 

So Back To Basics for me so I can start using this tool the way it was meant to be used!

Amy

Highest.....301   Surgery.....289    Lowest.....158   Regain.....203   Goal.....163    Current.....203

Diamond Girl
on 4/14/13 10:47 pm - Ham Lake, MN

Amy! So great to see you posting! You were one of the vets I was hoping to see, so thank you for taking that brave step.

Am so glad you are re-connecting. Stay plugged in, we got your back girl!

rjsams
on 3/25/13 1:49 am - Eagan, MN

It's nice to see veterans coming back to share their experiences!  I find inspiration and education from everyone's journey, so I love it when people post here.  But it has been pretty quiet lately. 

I can't recall a specific piece of advice, but so many people have been inspirational to me:  there's Dan, who was running a half-marathon at Disney World and simultaneously texting back to people at Saturday morning support group.  He inspired me to set as a goal doing a Disney World half-marathon, which I accomplished last November. 

There's Julie, who is so totally embracing her new post WLS life--she is always doing some crazy new experience, like skydiving, she inspires me to celebrate my new body and new capabilities.

And those of you who are adding steps to your day, adding walking miles to your breaks, and renewing your commitment to yourselves, hooray for you!  You are an inspiration to me, too!

There is no easy way to conquer our food addiction.  We have to celebrate each other's achievements, commiserate over setbacks, and KEEP COMING BACK for more!  It is an endless battle, but it is one we can WIN!

Diamond Girl
on 4/14/13 10:49 pm - Ham Lake, MN

As a newer OH member, you are a rockstar! Keep on - the best is yet to come for you!

Paul H.
on 4/2/13 5:43 pm - Eagan, MN

Me Too, I thought I was strong enough to just be an overcomer. I was already out of much of my stressed lifestyle, what could go wrong.?

Well it doesn't matter what did. What matters is the direction we take today.

I am thankful for this forum, and even more for the coffee group that does challenge me to positivity.

55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1368 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1142 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2613 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2694 views