GI scope before anything else

Megall
on 2/24/15 7:07 am - Canada

Hello everyone!

I have been reading the forum for a while, but only just registered today.  I  asked my family doctor to please put in a referral for weight loss surgery for me both in Fredericton and Moncton this past fall.  I got a call today that I am scheduled to go to the Moncton hospital on March 11th for a GI scope.  

The first thoughts that ran through my head were panic, because,  this is becoming REAL.  The second thought to go through my head was wondering if anyone else had to go through a scope as well.  Should I not be attending information sessions first?  Also the scope procedure itself is making me nervous.

If anyone could share experiences that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

kim_pei
on 2/24/15 7:33 am - Canada

Hi Megall,

First of all welcome.  I have been going to the Moncton Hospital with Dr B for a year and a half thereabouts.  And yes I had the scope prior to going to the all day session and anything else.  If you have never had one before dont worry they are painless.  I was surprised how wonderful the staff were and really slept through it.  If you want to add me I have documented every step of the way so far and now waiting for the call to surgery any day now.  Best of luck.

Kim

Jamie86
on 2/26/15 12:50 am - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

When I was considering WLF as an option to paying for surgery myself. I was asked at my consultation if I was medicated for acid reflex or if I had any issues with Heartburn that a tum wouldn't solve. She said if I do then I would have to have a scope here before going for surgery to make sure that there was no damage at the top part of my stomach. Some times that can cause food to come back up after surgery if there is damage to the flap (sorry cant remember the medical term for the flap) I believe they can fix it at the same time if there are any issues. 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

Megall
on 2/26/15 9:29 am - Canada

Hi Jamie86, thanks for your reply!

I haven't dealt with any acid reflux issues other than eating something too spicy and needing to take a tums once in a blue moon.  Now I'm curious as to why the scope was ordered and what they may be looking for.  

I have less than 2 weeks before the scope, so at least I don't have to wait long to ask my questions about it before it is done. 

I'm still feeling nervous about it, but in the grand scheme of things, 10 minutes of potentially being uncomfortable is worth a lifetime of health and easier mobility if it gives me a green light for the surgery.

Jamie86
on 2/26/15 11:31 pm - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

I'm just going to guess and say he just wants to be sure your stomach is healthy and ready for surgery. I don't think you have anything to worry about :) Just think of it as one more thing that just goes with surgery. 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Medic586
on 3/4/15 10:53 am
Are u having your surgery in Fredericton, if so they are really nice and Dr Boisvert also. I had complication and he had been so good to help me and still trying to found out what wrong with me. I wish you good luke
Jamie86
on 3/4/15 11:11 am - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

Yes I am ... 2 weeks from tomorrow is my surgery 

Medic586
on 3/4/15 11:13 am
I wish you good luck! Im happy for you!
Jamie86
on 3/4/15 11:16 am - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

Thanks so much ... I hope everything works out for you too 

Medic586
on 3/4/15 11:18 am
It will, im taking this one day at a time and trying to be positive. I have complication that dr boisvert never saw before.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1046 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1902 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1754 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views