Skin Surgery?

KL_Girl
on 5/24/16 3:41 pm

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has had skin removal surgery?  Just wondering if they do it in NB and if it is covered.

Cindy F.
on 5/25/16 8:50 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13

I've had my first consult with Dr. Jayson Dool in Moncton, he's one of two that Dr. B refers to in Moncton. It was a 7 month wait from the initial consult to the actual appointment. I'm still waiting to hear back from the province (PEI) if any of the surgery costs will be covered. I'm hoping they'll at least pay for the panni removal (lower stomach but not the middle ), which would be a little over $3,000 and pays for the overnight stay in the hospital and approximately two hours of the anesthesiologist's time. It's not much but every little bit will help. I'll return for another appointment once I hear back from the province to start the process for the first surgery. I understand the actual surgery won't happen until the fall, so it'll be a full year from the initial consult to the start of surgeries. I haven't gotten a total quote yet, and every patient would be different, but Dr. B. figured a tummy tuck and lipo would be around $10,000.

I'm not sure about in NB but in PEI, since it's out-of-province, once I got the referral from Dr. B, I had to get a referral from my family doctor submitted to the province, as my original bariatric referral wasn't applicable. There's a referral for the initial consult and then an application for the surgery. The above really doesn't answer your question, and I'm not in NB, so I can't answer it but I hope it sheds a little light on it. I'll be curious to hear from others.

KL_Girl
on 5/26/16 6:40 am

Thank you for the info Cindy!  Good luck with you surgery....please let me know how you make out.....  :)

Megall
on 5/29/16 8:31 am - Canada

I'm in Fredericton, and my sleeve was done by Dr. Boisvert.  In his consultation with me he covered skin removal down the road (pannelectomy) and said that he would perform it himself if and when the time came.  He also told me that the province would cover the removal if it were for a medical reason, for example if I were experiencing a rash under the excess skin.  So as far as I know, if it's for a medical reason, the province will cover it.  

KL_Girl
on 5/30/16 1:52 am

That's great news!  Thank you!

By the way, how are you feeling now after your surgery?  Sure hope you are feeling better....Hope to hear an update soon!

Megall
on 5/31/16 10:51 am - Canada

Feeling great!  I will post an update thread :)

islandmom
on 5/30/16 1:28 pm - Canada

When i went for my consulatation in Bathurst.  The nurse told me the province wont cover the surgery and skin removal and that it would cost about $8-$10,000.  She said I could see if my doctor would fight for it to prove I have medical issues from it to have them cover it but its not likely.  That sucks :(

KL_Girl
on 6/1/16 2:42 pm

OMG!  Guess I will just have to wait and see!  What are you going to do??  Try and see if you can get it paid, or just not going to do it?

islandmom
on 7/9/16 6:32 am - Canada

I know I cant afford $10,000....Im hoping my doctor will fight with me to get it covered and it will be covered especially if I have problems with all the excess skin.  I will have alot in my lower stomach

Cindy F.
on 6/2/16 7:53 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13

I received approval from the province (PEI) for the abdominal pannectomy (lower stomach). I'll have to pay for the remainder of the surgery  but every little bit helps. My next appointment with Dr. Jayson Dool is July 14th where we'll finalize plans for my first surgery and sign off on the surgery. I've been put on the surgery list for the fall (guessimated to be October).

Referral sent April 2004 / First Consult-Moncton June 2012 / Surgery - February 2013

5'6" / Pre-Op 355 lbs / Current Weight 185 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1031 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1883 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1739 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1738 views