Let's talk hair loss...

Megall
on 11/14/16 9:31 am - Canada

Hair loss after weight loss surgery is real.  I had read about it on other forums and had done my research on it, and started myself on 5000 mcg of Biotin about three months before surgery in hopes of keeping my hair.  (You can purchase it at GNC)  

The hair loss really started happening about 3 months after surgery, and at a rate that had me worried and stressed out about it.  Showers were taking longer because I was always disentangling loose strands from my hands after washing my hair.  Brushing became a chore because more hair would come out.  I was starting to see some thinning happening at the top of my scalp so I panicked and took myself to a hair dresser and got about 8 inches cut off.  My hair now sits almost at shoulder length and is healthier because #1 I don't have to use as much shampoo to wa**** and #2 it doesn't have the length it used to to pull on it while brushing.  It was quite distressing for a while, and I had about two days of crying and being upset over it because not only was I still fat, but now I was going to be fat AND bald!

Now on top of (still) taking the Biotin I found a shampoo and conditioner and serum treatment that is helping.  I found it at my local Jean Couteau store, it's their Pharmacie Jean Couteau PJC brand of shampoo and conditioner with both Biotin and Collagen in it.  It is in a tall red bottle, and super cheap. I paid $2.88 for each product, the shampoo, conditioner, and serum.  I ended up not liking the way the serum felt in my hair, so I've stopped using that.  I've been using it about a month now and have noticed that the thinning spots I  had before aren't as bad as they were, and there is some new regrowth happening as well.   When I pull my hair back into a ponytail there are wild new baby hairs sticking up all over the place, makes me look like a newborn duck lol!!!

I am 6 months post op now, and while I am still losing hair it is not as much as it was before, by half.  I  know that hair loss is a concern for some of us, mostly women, so I just wanted to share my experience and tell you of a product that I think is making a difference for me.  I do not work for either GNC or Jean Couteau, I'm just trying to be friendly and helpful :)  

threadtheneedle
on 11/14/16 9:53 am

I really appreciate this information. I'm weirdly super vain about my hair (maybe because no matter how overweight I have gotten my hair has always been a "beauty" point for me and something I could always come back to in order to feel pretty) and while I know there will be a ton of challenges post-op, the likelihood of hair loss after the surgery is one of the only things I truly dread. 

Cindy F.
on 11/14/16 9:54 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13

Mine started around 3 months out and lasted for about a month or so and then the new hair growth started showing, like you said, the new baby hair. Unfortunately, the hair loss happens regardless of what you take when trying to minimize it. I have thick coarse hair so it was fine with me, I ended up with 'normal' hair for the summer which was a nice change. My hair never did grow the way it did pre surgery. The thickness came back but I'm more then 3 years out and I still can't get any length on it. I can see the regrowth around my hair line and my ends are rarely trimmed, so it doesn't make sense. I'd be curious to hear from others who more then a year out. I'm starting the process of plastic / skin removal surgery next Monday and am expecting there to be another shock to my hair in a few months, as every major surgery brings this on. My hair dresser has said that when I'm all settled from the surgeries, we'll just put extensions in my hair and call it a day.

I'm glad the new products are helping you, it's great to hear what works for people.

Referral sent April 2004 / First Consult-Moncton June 2012 / Surgery - February 2013

5'6" / Pre-Op 355 lbs / Current Weight 185 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1043 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1898 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1751 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1750 views