New here and interested in advice!

Andrawill
on 1/14/08 7:56 am - Statesville, NC
Hey everyone!  I am fairly new to the forum.  Had my initial visit with the surgeon today (Monty COx, MD-Hickory). I am just waiting to hear back for the final approval from BCBS of Georgia. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice from you all.  I am sampling some of the protein liquid drinks (I am convinced some companies bottle powdered poo for us to add water to and drink).  I am also interested in finding out what things you all do to tone up and help reduce the loose skin.  The nurse practitioner today encouraged me to pursue swimming to help tone the abdominal skin post surgical. Any thoughts? Andra
Shazanne
on 1/14/08 8:08 am - Currie, NC
Hey Andra! Welcome!  Do you have a date yet?  I have gotten used to the "Body Fortress" brand of whey powder mix at Walmart's.  To me it's the best I have tasted and also the least expensive (which may or may not enhance the flavor!).  I do the chocolate one because I loathe vanilla.  I mix a scoop of it in a 24 oz shaker with a cup of 2% milk, about an equal amount of decaf perked coffee, and fill with ice and shake.  Voila!  30 grams of protein in a glass!  I sip on that all morning knowing I am getting half of my protein requirements right there! I wouldn't encourage you to buy any of those protein bullets.  Talk about liquid poo!  Most of us have a collection of those we would be happy to pass on to you.  Initially walking is probably the best exercise you can benefit from.  But swimming is certainly a plus for those of us with painful compromised joints from hauling all that weight around.  The less impact on those joints as we exercise, the better! Please keep us posted on your progress!
Andrawill
on 1/14/08 10:54 am - Statesville, NC
Shazanne, Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have a date yet. Waiting for the call saying insurance final approval.  Thanks! I will keep you all posted. I need all the support I can get and hopefully give. Andra
Aunt_DeeDee
on 1/14/08 9:41 am - Zebulon, NC
I'm not your gal for advice on anything to do with protein drinks... they make me SICK and I just couldn't do them.  I got online and ordered a multitude of them to try ("fruit drink" flavors as well as the powdered shake stuff).  So far I have lived and am working hard to EAT my protein now.  Please do try and find something you can tolerate.  For the past 2 weeks, I have tried multiple protein bars, and every time, I have gotten VERY sick on my stomach, so I've about come to the conclusion that I have some sort of allergy to the whey or something to do with the protein "ingredient" in stuff.  Just Saturday morning, I got to the Y and had to sit in my car for 20 minutes and eat a nausea pill after eating a bar on my drive there.  That was my LAST one of those things!  I joined a nearby Y (in another town) after surgery and have become a water aerobics addict!  I go 3-4 times a week and it is working me out from head to toe.  And I sleep better than I have in YEARS.  I broke a toe Christmas Eve, but just 2 days ago started putting a shoe on, so I'm hoping to start walking again on the off days I don't go swim. I'm also starting to work with a fitness instructor on equipment at the Y too.  The swimming is helping with some toning and stamina, but the equipment will help with firming and toning as well. And WELCOME!

Wendy    
305/292/213/199   (Start/DOS/CURRENT/1st GOAL)

Barbara C.
on 1/14/08 9:43 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Andra -

Congratulations on beginning the journey of a lifetime. It sounds like you are definitely doing your homework and that is a very good thing.

I would agree with Suzanne that walking will most likely be your best friend to start with. Of course, swimming is always a good way to go. I've lost about 80% of my excess weight. I was what would be considered a "lightweight." My high weight was 264, but my surgery weight was 233. I'll be 50 in a couple of weeks. I'm 5'6" tall. The reason I'm giving you my stats is that dressed, I look pretty good. As a matter of a fact, people who didn't know me before are often surprised when they find out that I was obese. However, without clothes ... ugh ... I have loose skin on my abdomen, thighs, hips and upper arms. I'm 7 months out and hope for some "redraping", but to honest, I'm not sure if/how much will occur.

I have to say that all said and done, I would rather be healthier and have to deal with the excess skin than have the health issues I had before the weightloss.

RE: protien shakes. Don't stock up too much. Many folks say that they feel that their since of taste changes a great deal. I didn't notice that personally, but still you might be conservative there. I found a product at GNC called AmericanWhey in chocolate that is pretty good. I also used AnyWhey available at Trader Joe's and The Vitamin Shoppe.

I'm wishing you every success on your journey and look forward to getting to know you better as you travel this road to a healthier you.

Regards,

Barb

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Andrawill
on 1/14/08 11:02 am - Statesville, NC
Thanks Barb! I really appreciate and will consider your input. All this information can be really overwhelming. Thanks for your support and friendliness. Andra
Barbara C.
on 1/14/08 11:36 am - Raleigh, NC

Andra -

First of all ... you are most welcome. I think that the support and friendship is what we are all here for ... whether you are just starting your journey or a ways down the road; we all need the support and friendship.

I wanted to take a moment echo what Alice said re: getting most of your protien from food. My program has you on liquid protien for the first 3 weeks. After that, it's real food ... and personally, I much prefer to eat my protien than to try to swallow those nasty protien shakes.

Barb

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Alice H.
on 1/14/08 10:35 am - Winterville, NC
Welcome to the NC Board and Congrats on your decision to have WLS surgery.  it is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself!   As far as protein shakes go, my surgeon does not recommend them. He wants his pts to get their protein in real food!  I did buy some before I realized that I wouldn't use them.  It's just as well, because the ones I tried were far from appealing....   Good luck!  Alice 
Alice in OneDerland
H:260 G: 135 
C:145 L: 131 BMI: 26 H: 5' 2 1/2" 
RNY 10/07  LBL 11/09
A.D.
on 1/14/08 8:11 pm - Matthews, NC, NC
Welcome to the board, and the best of lucky with your journey. Like most I hate the protein drinks, they make me sick YUCKY POOEY .... I somehow made it pass the liquid stage by trying every drink out there ,,, really the Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks were the best ( if there is really a " best " one ) ...... I used a Magic Bullet blender every meal myself and found it wonderful to grind up ice with the drinks.  Go to a local GNC and get some samples I have always found the sales people in there helpful. As far as skin---- I guess a lot depends on how much skin you have after the weight loss and age... I worked out all along my journey and still the skin hangs , I truly think there comes a point of no return on the skin going back ,, but please do not worry so much about it, I personally have found although the skin is no fun to deal with-- it is better empty than full .  And to have major weight loss is worth the price we pay ie.. hair loss and skin. Good Luck and again WELCOME
LooseCannon
on 1/14/08 9:10 pm - NC
Hi Andra,      Welcome to the family. That's really what I have found here. I don't have any advice as far as surgery since I am still pre-op. But I can say this: Don't be afraid/embarrassed/shy about asking/telling anything here. These wonderful people have walked me through alot of ups & downs in my fight to get approval for my surgery. Without their endless support I may have given up months ago.      We are all here for you. Good luck on your journey. I look forward to reading your post that you have been approved! Yippeeeeeeee!!!!! Mare
First visit with surgeon 2/07-383lbs  Day of surgery 2/08-336lbs  Current-226lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 570 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1600 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1294 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1631 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2662 views