Just checking in

Emelinda D.
on 6/23/11 12:17 pm - Winter Haven, FL
Hi everyone. It feels like its been so long since I have been on here. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am still alive and kickin. I got to admit though, I have been slacking, something that I am definitely not proud of. I have been eating even when I am not hungry and I am TERRIFIED that I am going to gain my weight back. As most of you all know I started out at 450 pounds and now I am at 224 pounds (alot of which is sagging skin). I had my surgery back in 2009 and I will never regret my decision because I know I would either be stuck in a bed all day or I would be dead by now. Thank u lord for gastric bypass!
Ok well other then slacking a bit, I am doing good. So how is everyone else doing? Please feel free to reply to this post. I miss you all bunches!!!

maggiet
on 6/24/11 7:17 am - Durham, NC
 I'm glad to have you back even though I'm a newbie and never knew you. I'm sure you have a lot of wisdom as well as needing some support. We can all learn form each other. And it is good to know that OH is a place i'll have in the future when I need it as well. 
Maggie

Kristi N.
on 6/24/11 10:25 pm - NC
Hi Emelinda,
Glad you're back, I didn't know you from before, I'm relatively new and pre-op. I also have Chris Mann for my surgeon. Was he wonderful? I want to know what to expect. He was great when I had my endoscopy a couple weeks ago and my consult is on 7/5.

I am amazed at your weight loss. Half your original weight is gone! Congrats on such great success! Give yoursself an extra boost and step up your exercise routine, maybe add some weights if you haven't done that yet. I'm afraid of the loose skin and want to work on toning while losing the weight. 

Take care & keep in touch with us,
HUgs
Kristi 
HW 244lbs SW 232lbs CW 148lbs GW 125-130lbs                     
Emelinda D.
on 6/25/11 12:33 pm - Winter Haven, FL
Thank you. It feels good to be back. As for Dr. Mann. He is AWESOME!! I love him. He is, in my opinion, one of the best surgeons there is here in NC. Dr. Mann and his staff is always there if you have any questions and as for after having the surgery, he has the best bedside care and he will definitely make you feel like you are special. He is very supportive and caring. He will always ask you if you have any questions or if you are concerned about anything and he actually sits there and explains it to you in terms that you can understand. He lays it out in plain english so you know exactly what he is saying. All in all, in my opinion you are in great hands!
I hope I answered ur question for ya. If you wanna talk more about it just send me a messege and I will be more then happy to chat with ya. I'm here if u need me!!

Linda :)

Janice D.
on 6/26/11 6:41 am - Roanoke Rapids, NC
Hi - Saw your question about the Roanoke Rapids Suport Group.  We have met 3 times at the Halifax County Health Links in the mall.  They are announced in the local paper.  Meetings start at 6 PM and last about 1 hour.  There is a lot of support, especially for those of us who have lost and are trying to maintain and even lose more.  I think you would enjoy the meetings.  Our next one is July 28th and we are supposed to have more samples of bars and protein products.  Hope to see you there.  Janice
Barbara C.
on 6/28/11 5:20 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Emelinda,

Welcome back! It's not uncommon for old habits to start creeping in about now that's why continued contact and support is so important to our long term success. If you can connect with the new support group that Janice D has started in Roanoak Rapids that could go a long way. Another thing is that it's important to be sure to follow the rules of the pouch. Make sure that you don't drink 30 minutes before, during or after your meals. Make sure that you start your meals with 4 to 6 ounces of lean protein and then go for the colorful carbs. Limit simple carbs. If you are not doing so now, start logging your intake. Also, if you are not doing so now, start weighing yourself regularly; that might daily or weekly, but regularly. Start wearing a pedometer if you are not already doing so; this will remind you to move more and keep you in a frame of mind that reminds you to take care of yourself. Remember to shoot for 10K steps a day at a minimum. Start keeping a journal and log how you are feeling when you are eating; happy, sad, mad, bored, etc... Sometimes the 'awareness' that this develops helps us make better decisions. Another thing that I do, is start my day thinking of something that I am grateful for since I lost my weight as it relates to each of these areas: health, quality of life, appearance and self esteem. I think about what is important to me in each of these areas; then, as I go through my day I ask myself if the decision I am making supports those things that are important to me. When I started doing this I wrote it down and carried a notebook with me. It may seem extreme, but it really helped me get me weight gain under control and allow me to lose the weight I had regained. 

I hope that some of these things might help you.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Emelinda D.
on 6/28/11 6:27 am - Winter Haven, FL
Thank you so much Barbara. I am going to definatwly try some if not all of the things you suggested. The bad habits are coming back and I want to stop them before I start gaining the weight back again.
Again thank you for the suggestions!

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 572 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1603 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1296 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1632 views
NC Forum