A question about fruit

Emelinda D.
on 6/28/11 6:51 am - Winter Haven, FL
Ok I absolutely love fruit. My thing is what kinds of fruit can I eat? I mean I have ate grapes, watermelon, lpums and I also can eat raisins. Does anyone know if something like prunes is ok? Is there a site I can go to that can kind of help me with knowing how much sugar is in certain kinds of fruit? I do remember my dr saying that as long as the fruit is naturally sweetened thats ok. At least I think thats what he said. PLEASE someone help me. I need my fruits lol.

TamaraL
on 6/28/11 10:24 am
I can honestly say I have dumped on watermelon, raisens, craisens.

I do better if I eat protien with my fruit. 

I can eat grapes, strawberries,

pineapple has a lot of natural sugars

prunes  have like astronomical amounts of sugar in them.  IF you eat one try to eat protien with it

Some people say they don't dump on fruits, I do so be careful!!!

Tamara

spitfire0379
on 6/29/11 1:28 pm - Durham, NC
 I love fruit as well. I can eat grapes, bananas, oranges (my fav), watermelon, cantelope, strawberries - pretty much anything. I've never had a problem with fruit and I was also told that fruit is an ok thing to eat. Granted, only after you've gotten your protein in, of course. I regularly eat fruit as a snack and a lot of times with a meal. Generally, you can simply google "nutritional info for [insert fruit]" and you'll get the info you're looking for.

Good luck!
Emelinda D.
on 6/29/11 8:57 pm - Winter Haven, FL
Ok thank you so much for the idea. I never even thought about googling it lol. Is googlling even a word? lol. Anyways yea I will definately look it up. Thank you so much!!

Barbara C.
on 6/30/11 7:32 am - Raleigh, NC

Emelinda,

You should be able to any type of fruit this far out. Some people are more 'carb' sensitive than others and may need to steer clear of fruits with very high sugar contents, such as pineapple, but generally you can eat fruit and not worry to much about it. The more fiber in the fruit the better because it causes your system to work a little more to process it. 

You may want to call your surgeon's office and pose this question to their Registered Dietician. You should be able to have access to them 'forever,' not just the first few months post op. 

Remember that you want to make sure that you are getting in that lean protein and supplementing that lean protein with the colorful carbs that make up all of those yummy fruits and vegitables.  Something like grilled chicken or shrimp on a bed of baby spinach with some slivered almonds and berries, such as blue berries, strawberries or raspberries make a lovely salad that provides a wonderful balance of protein and colorful carbs. 

I hope that this helps.

All the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 565 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1593 views