Question about Medicaid

hlmcmahon
on 8/7/11 6:28 am - Lincoln, NE
Hi everyone!  I've been trying to do research in regards to if Medicaid here in Nebraska will cover the lapband.  I keep finding that yes they do, but they require a bunch of extra stuff before approval - but have not had great luck with finding what is required.

Who here has gone through the approval process with Medicaid?  What did it involve?  How difficult was it for you to get approval?

I'm 21 years old, my BMI is 38, and I'm pushing 80 pounds overweight.  I've been overweight since I was in elementary school, have been diagnosed with both asthma and depression - both after I was overweight.  I've hit the point that I know I need to do something different - diet alone isn't working, and even just going for walks is hard on my asthma at this point.  I have an 11 month old little boy who I'm raising alone - I need to make changes so that I can be the best mother I can be for him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
livis1965
on 3/30/12 1:05 pm - NE
RNY on 06/22/12
 The best advice I could give you is to go to one of Dr Anthone and Dr Winterstein's seminars in Omaha.  Their number is 402-354-1320.  You will gain enormous information from it.  Medicaid does cover, and the biggest thing you have to do is 6 months of Dr supervised weight loss.  They will give you all the info you need at this seminar.  They have them once a month I think the next one is around the 9th of April and they are free.  Good luck.
jemmatennel
on 1/29/13 1:36 am - NE

Ah Medicaid!  They require:

6 months of Supervised Weight Loss

5 Year History of Obesity (Which is less fancy jargon, means documentation that shows that you have been overweight for at least five years.  You can get this from your PCP or from any other Doctor you've been seeing regularly as long as they have your weight documented and the weight places you in an obese weight range.

Psychological Evaluation

Nutritional Evalualtion

If you are Nebraska Coventry Medicaid you will need  some extra testing that that they will help you with at the doctors office.  ( I know this because  friend of mine had to go through it when we did this together.)

The Nebraska Medical Center has a FANTASTIC information session and when I was going through my process the staff there was so helpful.  At the time the coordinator was Stacy P, but now it's this very kind and sweet woman named Jamiela and she will help you through and she is always so pleasant on the phone.  They hold their information sessions every 2nd thursday of the month and they have their support group every 2nd monday of the month!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Newbie Question
elowe · 0 replies · 4712 views
Insurance
Tashac · 1 replies · 5878 views
Party Time!
monymony · 0 replies · 6213 views
NE health care exchanges
dhomaha · 0 replies · 6282 views