- HEALTH TRACKER
2) Recovery – providing there are not any complications and you are able to get in sufficient fluid you will be released from hospital in two days. In on a Monday, out on a Wednesday. You should plan to be off work for a min of three weeks depending on what type of work you do. Heavy labour will be more an office job could be less.
3) You can have a baby after going through surgery. It is recommended that you wait a min of two years post surgery. There are people who are looking into the possibility. Check out the other boards on here – they speak to that more!
4) Only Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is preformed in Newfoundland.
5) I am still pre-op so I can’t offer any personal thoughts. But I have been going to the support group meetings. Many people who have had the surgery have some moments or even days of regrets. But all seem to agree that over they are happy they had the surgery.
6) You can eat healthy foods after the surgery – you just have to take your time and build up to normal foods.
Pre- op you will have to complete a two week trial liquid diet. You will be required to journal and track this and then meet with the nurse practitioner and dietician. Then for the entire week before your surgery you will be required to do the liquid diet again. This shrinks your liver and makes the surgery safer. The day before your surgery you will only be allowed clear liquids.
After your surgery you will not be allowed ANYTHING by mouth until the next day. The morning after your surgery you will be have a leak test. Once you get the green light you can start with some liquids. You will progress to the full liquid diet again, and stay on that for another four weeks while your stomach heals. After that you progress to mushies, and then slowly progress to other foods.
Click HERE to see the link to Nova Scotia’s diet for VSG. It is very similar to ours.
There is also a facebook support group – its a secret group so only members can see or post in it. If you want add me as friend and I can ad you to the group. There are both post –ops and pre-ops in the group. Click HERE for the link to my facebook page.
Hope this helps and congratulations for taking a huge step to a healthier you!!!!