Met With Dietician and Bariatric Nurse!

brookienewfie
on 12/19/12 3:45 am

Wow! 21/2 hours for one appointment! After my two week liquid diet, I met with the Dietician and the Bariatric Nurse as well as a very nice research student from MUN. I met with the Dietician first and she weighed me, took my height and asked a lot about the two week diet. I had my sleep study done a week prior, but it apparently takes 3 weeks to get the results back so we couldn't really discuss that. Sleep is not really a problem of mine, I much prefer it to most activities as it is rare and forgotten in my household.

They took a thorough family history and asked me a kazillion questions about my health. I had to bring all my medications including vitamins so that the nurse could go through them. I didn't have any issues there but I can't help but wonder how in the name of Jamison does anyone take a pill or vitamin after this surgery if it doesn't come in liquid or chewable form?

At one point, a MUN student came in and asked if I would cooperate in a study they were working on. She went through all the information and told me that I didn't have to make my decision then, that she would see me at my next appointment. The breakdown of this study if I decide to participate is: MUN is trying to gather medical information for the government to determine if a patient who undergoes bariatric surgery has less medical problems and less doctor's visits after surgery compared to before surgery.

If I decide to say yes to this program, then I sign a consent form at my next visit saying that I give them access to all my medical records for the past 3 years and that they will follow through my every appointment with the bariatric doctor to ask questions and follow-up with me. I do believe by signing, you also give them access to your medical records for 3 years following the surgery as well. But it is all confidential. You are just a number that matches up with another number in the medical system they use. No one can be identified.

I think this research will do good for this province and for the Bariatric team. Most everybody will have better health after surgery, am I right? This research will show the government how less they are spending on our health care after the procedure and in turn show them how much they are saving. Hopefully they will then increase the Bariatric team as it is now a 5 YEAR WAITING LIST for a gastric sleeve. The nurse said it back at the information session in October and I confirmed it with her again last week. That just blows my mind!

There are 3 surgeons on the team and they do 1 surgery each every Monday except for holidays. (They would pick Mondays...the one day of the week with the most holidays!) So that's approximately 9 surgeries a month and one would think 108 surgeries a year, however at the info session on Oct. 12, 2012, the nurse told us that they had only performed 78 surgeries in total in almost two years. For the longest time, it was only Dr. Pace doing these surgeries but now there are two more surgeons on the team. Let's hope they get at least 108 surgeries a year because with a 5 year waiting list the Yanks will have to watch the borders more carefully as I'd be heading to Mexico to pay $5000 for the surgery down there.

All in all, the appointment went very well. She told me that I would be looking at the Spring for my surgery and that my next step would be to meet with the doctor to sign my consent forms. I've waited two years....what 4 more months! In the meantime, I've got a trip planned for down south next month. I haven't had a picture taken of me in years but I plan to take lots down there so I can look at them and shake my head AFTER the surgery...lol. Maybe I won't get them developed until 6 months post-op..lol.

Mary C.
on 12/20/12 12:03 am - Glovertown, Canada

Congrats on your appt and also for a very informative post. I'm sure there are many "waitiers" out there who will be happy to read this information.

I also wanted to say how happy I was to learn from you that there will be a research study done to determine the effect Bariatric surgery has on medical problems and number of doctors visits. Kudos to the research team.

Maerry Christmas to you and your date for surgery will be here before you know it!

tribblesmom
on 3/3/13 2:23 am - bay bulls, Canada

Hi So you are not getting it done at the Heath Science?I am scheduled for my first group meeting this month but am not in a financial situation to be able to go away to get it done,It's disheartening to hear it is such as long wait as 5 years to get it done in St Johns nL...With all my health problems,and my dire need for weightloss I'm not sure I got 5 more years..indecision

alwayshavehope
on 3/6/14 4:53 pm - Canada

I am seriously considering weightloss surgery because nothing else is working and i need to do something before it is too late.   But i have no idea how to get this process started!  Any help i can get from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Most Active