Looking for information

Flankers
on 1/10/13 9:08 am

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site, and was only recently made aware of weight loss surgeries being covered through MCP here.

I've struggled with weight for quite some time, it getting worse after my early twenties, i've tried fad diets, the gym etc. recently just decided to try and eat better and get as much exercise as possible. It has been working to a minor extent. I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. i'm really only coming to terms with this now and am looking to make any and all changes necessary to get healthy and remain healthy. I've been considering this type of operation for quite some time, but i really don't know where to start. My GP retired recently, and i have no real set doctor at the moment, i sort of get in where i can, mainly at student health at MUN. How do i go about setting everything in motion? Is there anything i should know before i get started? any factors that would be going against me, or for me with this procedure? If any more information is needed, let me know and ill try and get it here as soon as possible.

Thanks

Mary C.
on 1/11/13 5:03 am - Glovertown, Canada

The physician who does bariatric surgery at the HSC in St. John's is Dr. David Pace. Your first step is probably to get your family doctor to do a referral to him. I had my surgery 5 yrs ago in NB. Not offered here in our province at that time. Good luck to you. There is a facebook group here in NL. I am not a member. Look up Jenn Deon on Facebook - she will be GLAD to add you to the group.

Flankers
on 1/12/13 4:44 am

Thanks for your help and advice.

Elvena
on 1/13/13 2:06 am

Hi ,

I am also considering the sleeve surgery, my referral is gone but the wait time is 4-5 years here in Newfoundland. I am now looking into traveling to Mexico. From what I can get so far I expect to pay about 12 thousand to cover everything. I welcome any further info as well . Good luck to you.

baydoll
on 1/19/13 5:30 am - Ottawa, Canada

I went to Mexico from Ottawa....great experience, great choice!!

Flankers
on 1/13/13 2:14 am

Are there different types of surgeries? 4-5 years seems like a long time, but i accept the fact that this isnt a overnight thing.

newfie-mama
on 1/14/13 4:38 am - St. John's, Canada

Hi Guys;

Yes the wait time is long and it is hard but use the time to prepare your self for the major changes that you will be going thur both physically and emotionally. The sleeve is not ment to be an out is it is to be used as a tool to assist you with your weight loss. There is now three doctors on the team doing surgery. Dr. Pace, Dr. Boone and Dr. Smith and on Mondays they are averaging 3 surgeries.  Your first step is to have your family doctor refer you to Dr. Pace., then you will have the wait for the orientation. This is where the longest of the wait is. while waiting prepare your self to the fullest, research, research and research. Don't be afraid to ask questions. No question is too silly believe me. Also get your body ready for the changes too. There is changes that you are going to have to make, such as dropping certain things caffine, pop being the biggest, Learning how to chew your foods to a paste, not drinking 1/2 before, during and 1/2 hr after a meal. These are steps that will follow you for the rest of your life. We have a private support group on FB if you are interested and give lots of help and information and has lots of people waiting to start the journey, has started and those that are on the weight loss bench. Good luck and if you have questions just post away.

Denise

baydoll
on 1/19/13 5:29 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi

I'm a Newfoundlander who lives in Ottawa. I had weight loss surgery in Mexico 2 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. At the time the wait list here was more than 2 years....I understand in NL it is much longer. Message me if you would like more info on my experience.

Doreen

lindanfld
on 1/22/13 7:13 am

I spoke to my doctor about this yesterday.  There is a four to five YEAR waiting list and he's putting me on it.  You have to have a BMI of 35, I think.

EternalEx
on 2/7/13 5:59 am - Canada
Check if MCP will cover out-of-province or out of country surgery. I live in ON where the wait is about a year or so (and we complain about that!), but our provincial health care program will approve people to go to the US for surgery. The process is extensive, but might be worth looking into any other options you may have.
Best wishes!
Most Active