Seeking VSG

MariellaVoor
on 9/10/13 1:23 pm

Hi everyone!!

I am seeking others from NL, who are willing to share in their experiences of pre-op , during, and post-op here in NL, Canada.

I am seeking the VSG myself, and  would love to get a support system on the go for my journey.

Right now, I know what the VSG is, and beginning to understand it more, an I strongly feel this is the next step in my weight loss journey, and it excites me.

slp_284
on 9/16/13 2:19 am - Canada

Hi,  I am also seeking the VSG.  Just waiting to hear something (anything) from someone!  It's so fustrating.  Have you heard anything since your referral went in?

susan

MariellaVoor
on 9/16/13 2:41 am
Hi Susan!

I have to see my family doctor, and get my referral sent in. Hope to do within next couple of weeks.

Have you passed this stage... referral gone in? Some people say it's a 4-5 yr wait, but I hardly doubt that. I have the number for Dr.Paces clinic to get extra information. Every time I call, I get voice mail, so I hang up.

If you want the number, I can provide it, it's for his administration office.

Cindy
llLou
on 10/12/13 10:32 am - Halifax NS, Canada

It's a 10 year wait for VSG surgery here in NS. I ended up going to Mexico for my surgery. It was the best decision I ever made.

MariellaVoor
on 10/13/13 11:31 pm

10 years? that's ridiculous!!

Jiliana2
on 11/4/13 11:28 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm a Newfoundlander living in Ottawa, and here in Ontario, the VSG and the RNY are both covered by the province (OHIP). However, that's only been the case for the last few years... before that, a lot of people went to Mexico for the surgery.

There are two doctors in particular in Mexico that everyone on our forums rave about. I'd have to check the names but I believe one is Dr. Alvarez. The second begins with "A" as well, but I'm not certain of it at the moment.

In addition, I'll be blogging my journey, much as I did our infertility journey dating back to 2006. I'm in the queue here in Ottawa for the VSG. It takes about one year here from referral to surgery. I spoke to my doctor last January about the surgery, got the referral in February and I'll likely have the VSG in December or January here.

If it's good with you, I'd be happy to be in your support circle, even though I'm not exactly around the corner. Good for you for making this decision!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

will_be1fitmom
on 2/16/14 7:32 pm

Unfortunately, the wait time for Dr. Pace is actually 4-5 years right now - as he only performs them on Monday mornings. There are a couple of doctors studying under him, but I don't know if they'll lead procedures any time in the near future.

Once your referral goes in from your family physician, it's all a waiting game. I'm not sure if your doc talked much to you about it (mine did a tonne of research to better inform herself, so she could pass along info to me) - but once your referral is in, no one is going to contact you until it's your turn to start the pre-op counseling, diet trial, testing, etc. That could be 3 or 4 years from your referral date!

Hopefully my information is outdated, and you can let me know otherwise... but my referral went in to the HSC in October of 2012 and I have never once talked to anyone from that office.

Most Active