Surgery booked for April 24

Brighteyes3567
on 4/2/12 4:00 pm - Bridgewater, Canada
VSG on 05/08/12
Hello Everyone
I am new to Nova Scotia I moved here in 2010 but not new to OH I orginally started my journey in Windsor Ontario but was denied for Out Of Country Coverage, than we moved here to Bridgewater NS cause my dad was terminally ill. I am happy to be here and that we made the move, I am now booked for surgery with Dr. Ellsmere on April 24 I am so excited and scared at the same time. I was happy to see that there was a forum for Nova Scotia cause it will be nice to meet people in this area who have had it done or are getting ready to have the surgery.
Send OOC paperwork on Dec 1/09
Ohip asked for more info on Dec 5/09 and Dec 24/09
Doc ignored.
More info sent on Jan 22/09
First Appt with sleep clinic on Feb 3/09
Ended up being denied March/2009
Moved out of Ontario and now live in Nova Scotia
and have been approved and booked for surgery on April 24/2012 with Dr.Elsmere

Jackie00
on 4/2/12 10:48 pm
wonder how you got that date so fast here, I know people that have been on the list here fire over five years.

Congrats for getting a date, keep us updated.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Brighteyes3567
on 4/3/12 3:02 pm - Bridgewater, Canada
VSG on 05/08/12
There are actually a couple of reason I got a date so fast, one being I had already had everything done in Ontario prior to having to move here so that shaved off whatever time and two I was sent to see the surgent cause my acid reflux is so sever that it has done damage to my throat and 

Esophagus to the point that I choke on most of my food, its pretty scary and than he found a hernia so he has to go in to repair those and he is going to do the surgery while he is already in there so this way the acid reflux will stay away and than the fact that I am a Diabetic too

Doc ignored.

novascotiadawn
on 4/4/12 3:59 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

FYI...My acid reflux/GERD...got worse after the sleeve!

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

waiting_patiently
on 4/5/12 4:14 am - Nova Scotia, Canada
VSG on 07/24/12
WTG! I too would like to know how you got in so fast.  I have had two referrals sent into Dr Ellsmere now and have been on the waiting list since 2010.  I have Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and have developed Type 2 Diabetes in 2011, severe sleep apnea, high cholesterol as well as a family history of Heart Disease.  As of speaking to Diana Lawler this morning, and not getting a direct answer as to where exactly I am on the wait list and was told that they are only seeing people from 2008 now, and that the list exceeds 2000 people.   

IslandMomma
on 4/12/12 8:13 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
 Congrats on your date...sorry to hear some others questioning your quick date...but good luck and good health...
Carly ~
on 4/15/12 1:06 pm
 I'm glad that the hospital prioritizes patients and that you're surgery is expedited.  Don't be scared -- it's the beginning of a wonderful journey ahead of you!

Sorry to hear about your Dad, and welcome to Nova Scotia!
Can't wait to meet you!

All the best to you in your journey!

Citykitty
on 4/20/12 4:10 am - Sydney, Canada
Hi Bright eyes,

So glad to hear you are booked for surgery.  I had it done in august of last year and it was a piece of cake, pardon the pun!!  I had no difficulties whatsoever and I've been loosing steadily since then. I have not had a particularly fast weight loss, but I am happy with what's happening.

As to the waiting period, the number and type of health problems you have and things like your age are taken into account.  From the time of my initial referral to the surgery date was about 3 years. Of course, I'm now a 'slighly senior citizen'so I think that helped me.

Good luck and before you know it you will be joining us on the losers' bench.

Brighteyes3567
on 4/20/12 4:59 am - Bridgewater, Canada
VSG on 05/08/12
Thank You everyone for the support  My surgery was changed to May 8th cause my doctor isn't available next week, which is ok cause it is only put over for 2 more weeks, I look forward to meeting anyone who wants to meet me it would be nice to have new people in my life, we have been here for just over a year and a half and haven't really made any friends, I have never met a town so against outsiders in my life. I am sorry for those of you who are still waiting for an appt. I got my appt. with the Dr. for my sever acid reflux and he has to go in to do some work to repair the damage that has been done, so he said he is gonna be in there anyways so while he is he is doing the bypass, this way less surgeries. Plus I have been on this journey since 2009 yes it was in Ontario but I had already done all testing that is required prior to the surgery so I think that also helped me. I am not on here to make enemies I came back on to OH to talk to people who have been through this, With being beat down cause I got an early surgery date, I have no been comming back here, I found a page on Facebook with people from NS who have had the surgery or are getting it, they have been awsome and are very friendly and not once was I asked why you and not me!!!!!!! Like I said I appreciate everyone on here who has been supportive  and friendly. If you would like to chat please add me on Facebook my name is Carole Boyer Schleihauf and I look forward to chatting with you and hopefully meeting in the future.
Thank You Again
Carole
Doc ignored.

nsblue
on 4/25/12 9:46 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
In here it is very common to be made feel ostercized by some due to being accepted for the NS WLP / VSG surgery. No one should be made feel that way.... but it has happened. With such a long wait list and all factors unknown n assumed on how the system works, alot of hostilities surface. Which is really too bad, for support for anyone irregardless of where they get their surgery is affected. It is really too bad that people have to make "private " groups to be able to get support... when there is a forum right here.

Government funding for the Obesity Network sucks... hence the long wait lists. Time could be spent on helping instead of harming and tearing down which has happened in the past.

Brighteyes all the best in your upcoming surgery. Glad they will be able to help with your other health issue. i had my VSG last december by Dr E, and just had my hernia repair 4 1/2 weeks ago. I go down to hfx next week for my last WLP check....and post op with Dr E n see about my next surgery. i am taking an early discharge from the WLP so that time can be used on new patients.. freeing up time for others i feel will help, since i am doing fine and dont need it.

Most Active