Excess skin removal covered by OHIP?

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/10 9:52 am
OH veterans, I'm sure you've seen this question a billion and one times. I'm sorry if it's a little redundant. I have tried looking around the forum for some answers, but haven't found all the info.

I am talking to my doctor on September 30th to ask for a referral for WLS. I have been doing a lot of research and feel very well informed, but I'm really curious about one thing.

I'm kind of worried about the excess skin. From what I understand, OHIP *may* cover a panni, but only if it's medically necessary (due to rash, pain, infection, etc). But that's only on the stomach, right?

What about arms and legs and such? Is that pretty much just something I'd have to get used to?

Has anyone here been covered by OHIP for any kind of lift or panni? What are the cir****tances where they might cover it? How about anyone who hasn't had the surgery? Do you still have loose skin? Does it bother you at all?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
ericaFG
on 8/24/10 10:01 am - Cambridge, Canada
Personally - I had WLS for my health - not my looks.  I figured if I ended up looking like a skinny sharpei - that would suck, but would be better than being fat. 

Now - I have some hanging skin.  I was recently approved for a panni through OHIP due to rashes etc.  Not everyone needs a panni - there are a few people in my group with loose skin by no overahng even though they lost 100+lbs.  Dependant on a lot of factors (# of pregnancies, age, genetics etc).

I started saving when I started considering WLS for plastics.  I would like to do my arms and breasts - but if I didn't have the money, I could live with what I have.  A good bra and a 3/4 sleeve hides all.  I'd like to do thighs/butt as well, but the money might run out before that happens, we'll see.  

Honestly - not a reason to not-consider WLS.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Karen M.
on 8/24/10 10:07 am - Mississauga, Canada
skinny sharpei

*gasp*  Have you seen me naked??

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

ericaFG
on 8/24/10 10:16 am - Cambridge, Canada
**teeeheee*** not but I dream of it...
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Karen M.
on 8/24/10 10:18 am - Mississauga, Canada
Oh you silber tongued debil.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jonathin
on 8/25/10 1:00 am - Ottawa, Canada

honourh
on 8/24/10 10:08 am - BARRIE, Canada
I had surgery April 26, 2010 and have lost 90 pounds.  I think I look pretty friggin good in my clothes...naked is another story though.  I have huge wings...I'm sure I could take flight soon.  My chest went from a 44-46G to a 34DD...so the tennis balls in socks is a nice analogy.  My panni is huge already (4 c-section type operations did nothing to make that situation any better and my navel is collapsing in on itself) and if I walk too fast with a loose skirt or dress on it sounds like the excess skin on my thighs is clapping for me.

But...how often do I stand around with my arms outstretched and swing my skin back and forth...not too often.  My boobs pack nicely into the right bra and look awesome when I make sure the nipples are pointing the right way ;) Who sees my panni...not too many people and clothes hide it well.  And I have taken to wearing very fitted skirts on my newly slim body so my thighs don't clap.

Do I want plastics...you bet...at some point, but I am so grateful and happy to have had an opportunity to be given this tool that all of that can wait.  I look very good in clothes and the person who sees me naked loved me at 255 pounds and loves me even more now.  I wanted to get healthy and that is what I have done.  And I have a jar for my plastics fund... ;)
~ Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become ~        

Consult  254.8lbs  Surg.  220lbs NUT Goal 140lbs
  My Goal 127lbs   REACHED!!                
harley_girl
on 8/24/10 10:33 pm - Canada
You are so funny...... I laughed right out loud when I read your reply.  Thanks for the info and for putting a smile on my face on this very grey morning.

Harley Girl
irol770
on 8/25/10 2:25 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
and look awesome when I make sure the nipples are pointing the right way

LOL!!!!!  I literally laughed out loud when I read this, and every time I re-read it I laugh all over again! But it is funny because it is TRUE!  Isn't it awful to have to "pack" them nicely into a bra and then re-direct the nipples!  And then I worry about them re-adjusting throughout the day and that it might get a little chilly out.... and well you know how that could go! 

LOL!  Just way too funny.... and sad all at the same time!  LOL!
Glitter Text Generator

jenn7859
on 4/14/14 11:26 am

Well said, congrats on your weight loss.

Most Active
Recent Topics