Excess skin removal covered by OHIP?

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/10 10:29 am, edited 8/24/10 10:30 am
Thank you so much for your answers so far. I was talking to a friend today about wanting to have WLS, and for the first time, I questioned my decision a little bit when they went on and on about the excess skin. I already knew it would happen, but I'd rather be healthy and have some loose skin than to be obese.

I really appreciate knowing how people who have had the surgery feel.

My biggest reason for wanting the surgery is to have a healthier heart. I was born with heart defects. While I'm healthy now, I don't want to continue to carry around all the extra weight and risk having something go wrong with my heart because of it.

So my main reason for considering WLS is my health. Everything else is secondary.

I've noticed that so many people who have had it say they have no regrets and they are happy. And I guess that's just what I want too...
irol770
on 8/25/10 2:29 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
Realistically, if I could lose 100 lbs on my own without the need for surgery I would still have the excess skin.  It is there because I am so overweight and have stretched everything out to its limit.  So no matter how I lose the weight, I will have the same excess skin.  That wasn't even a factor in my wls decision.  Because I knew I couldn't do it on my own...I needed the tool.  I've tried to do it in the past and continually failed.  So I did what I needed to do to be successful and healthy, and yes I knew my looks would improve in the process, but the excess skin is something I knew I would have to deal with no matter which method I used to successfully lose the weight. 
Glitter Text Generator

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/10 10:32 am

On my way to work this morning, I was thinking about this subject, and I did realize that the skin would be loose any way I lose the weight. And I've seen so many 'after' pictures of people who have had the surgery... they all look great! I don't look at the picture and think "Hm, now where's the skin hanging?" I think "That's where I want to be."

I guess I was just looking for reassurance as to whether the option would be there, and if I need a panni, and qualify for OHIP to foot the bill, I'd do it. But I don't think I'd worry either way.

I'm glad I'm working through all these thoughts now instead of in the middle of the process! 

ericaFG
on 8/24/10 10:40 am - Cambridge, Canada
I will say that the biggest thing for me to get used to was the way my skin now feels "loose".  Not sure if "regular" skinny people feel like this and I was just used to puffy, fat filled skin?  Or if it's the "sharpei" effect?  And if that will ever tighten up...

But I'd still take it any day.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

sweet_pita
on 8/24/10 11:11 pm - Canada
 When you are done with it all you might decide you don't want or need it....

I have been doing pilates since 6 weeks out and honestly things are not as bad as I thought they would be. 

I also want to wait to be 2 yrs at goal weight as that is my doc recommendation and even then I am not sure I really want to go into yet another surgery....

HW : 305 SW : 294 CW : 160

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/13 12:52 pm - Canada

I have lost over 155lbs so far.  I have been trying to get my family doctor to find a surgeon who will even look at me without the consultation fee.  NO GO.
For some reason, they see us former fatties coming along and I feel as though they want to make as much off us as they can.

I fought a long hard battle to get to where I am right now.  I did it all without surgery, I went from a size 48 pant to a size 30.  From 330lbs to 170-175lbs and am happy with the changes I have made.

Now I feel completely ripped off that I am no longer this "burden" to our health care system, yet they will not support me in my one request to help me get rid of my loose skin... and boy do I have a lot of it!

JennR
on 4/14/14 12:27 pm
Strengthening muscles will help fill up that space left by the lost fat and help a bit with the loose skin. I have heard but don't have any first hand studies or documentation that a lower body fat helps. I'm not sure how the loose skin is absorbed but there were pictures in the OH magazine (now defunct) of a woman who had lost a significant amount of weight after WLS, turned to competitive bodybuilding and didn't have a bit of loose skin. Of course it all depends as well on factors such as age, highest weight, how long at that weight etc. I'm hoping someday to be able to prove this first hand or find the studies to back it up because I think it would certainly encourage a lot of folks.

CCs_mum
on 4/15/14 5:25 am

I feel pretty lucky... I'm 5'6" and lost 169 lbs so far and have loose skin on my arms and thighs (nothing that regular shorts and 3/4 sleeves can't cover.  I do have a bit of loose skin on my belly but it doesn't hang and I don't need compression garments. 

No rash or pain from the loose skin and having a  good bra is always important.

I never had plans for plastics, but it doesn't mean I never joke with friends about getting a 360 body lift :-)  I don't feel the need to have additional surgery.  I'm healthy and have a great attitude about myself.  More importantly, I am comfortable with myself naked and that's what counts.

I didn't have RNY to make my body look better, I did it for health and I am now healthy.

I was granted my most important wish, I won't ask for more

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

JMac1072
on 5/17/16 5:15 am

So I know this thread has not been used in a long time, and i know i am just starting the process, but can anyone tell me if OHIP still covers part or all of a body lift?

freakiechick10
on 8/25/10 1:15 pm
This is my biggest regreat with surgery.  I didn't have the nerve to take bra and panties shots before. 

I have lost 112, so far and I have excess skin, but when I look at my arms for example, I know even with them flapping they look better then they did before.  Tummy same thing. I think everyone has had surgery for their health. but we are human and damn, would all like to have tight skin.  It is a personal choice to have WLS surgery and then as I have taken to calling it reconstructive surgery after your weight lose.  Good for you to think about it before so you are a little more prepared when it happens.

Good Luck in your journey    

Freakie        
Most Active
Recent Topics