Pain after gastroscope.

trudylam
on 3/8/11 11:31 am - Sudbury, Canada
I had my gastroscope yesterday and it was terrible.  I could feel the whole thing but I couldn't tell them that I could feel it.  It's like they didn't give me enough sedation.  Today I have been having some soreness in my throat and some swelling.  Anyone else ever have that problem?  I feel like I have a marble in the back of my throat.

Tammy G.
on 3/8/11 1:16 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada
 I went through the same thing girl..I was awake through the whole thing..was very traumatizing freaked me out..I also had a sore throat and a bit of a sore stomach where they took the biopsy i guess.
Referral sent: July 23rd 2010
Orientation,Nurse Practitioner,Dietitian.Psychologist,ECG&Blood Work:November1st&2nd 2010
Ultrasound: November 25th 2010
Scope: December 29th 2010
Internist: January 5th 2011
Surgeon appt and Surgical Education Class March 17th 2011
Surgery: May 26th 2011
 My Beautiful  is my Joy Joy!!! ( Joy D.)
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/11 8:38 pm - Canada
It's called conscious sedation - they just sedate you enough to relax you so you don't "fight" the scope.  It's not enough to knock you out, just enough to prevent too much gagging.

Yes you may feel the entire thing, no it is not a pleasant sensation but then again, you had a tube with a camera and a biopsy tool thrust down your throat into your stomach. 

Yes you may have a sore throat, again, you have had a tube with a camera and biopsy tool thrust down your throat into your stomach, it does cause some trauma - particularly where it crosses the soft palate into your esophagus.

My suggestion is warm tea and drink plenty of fluids, eat soft foods the day after.

It is a means to an end though.  When you meet with the internist or surgeon, ENSURE you ask about the biopsy results and ask about any evidence of h-pylori or other bugs.  Having recently been treated for an h-pylori outbreak and subsequent bleeding ulcer post surgery has NOT been fun!
trudylam
on 3/8/11 9:10 pm - Sudbury, Canada
Thanks for the info Tammy and Mike :)  I guess I just expected not to feel it.  They kept saying, "you'll just go to sleep and the next thing you know, it will be over".  Talk about downplay! lol  I will definitely ask about the results when I meet the surgeon, I am really curious about the H-pylori because my mother was treated for it last year.  If I have it, I can blame her! LOL

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/11 1:50 am - Vaughan, Canada
Wow, so sorry you guys had such a bad experience.  I had mine done on Monday and was pleasantly surprised.  I was more nervous about this procedure than the actual surgery but my surgeon (who preformed the gastroscopy) was great.  He relaxed me and was reassuring.  I did feel a little of it but then the next thing I know, I wake up and I notice it had only been 15 minutes since I last looked at the clock. 
Most Active
Recent Topics