Approved for my revision surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 5:50 am, edited 6/27/11 5:51 am
I found out today that OHIP has approved my revision from RNY to the DS with Dr. Gagner in Montreal.
For those of you who do not remember me, I started the process of getting a revision back in July 2010.  I had many obstacles to over come, but I kept writing and calling everyone that I could think to help me and it finally paid off.  I went through the assessment center in Ottawa and also was referred to Dr. Hong in Hamilton for a second opinion. Dr. Dent applied to OHIP to cover the cost of a revision on the 27th of May and I received a call from Ottawa telling me that I was approved as of today.
Now things are finally going to start to happen. It has been a long wait, but it will be worth it in the long run.
I have been reading the board daily, but did not want to post until I had the decision from OHIP.
Good luck to those of you who are waiting for surgery. Your turn will come.
Take care.
Penny
sam1am
on 6/27/11 6:09 am
That's wonderful news!  Congratulations!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

charm64
on 6/27/11 6:16 am - Cambridge, Canada
Great news! Congratulations

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

samtq
on 6/27/11 6:22 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Congratulations!  It is my understanding that Dr. Dent is not a big fan of the DS so this is quite an accomplishment for you.  

May I ask why you need this revision?
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.? --John “the Penguin? Bingham 
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. ~ Nelson Mandela

HW: 247.5/SW: 228.5/CW:135/ My GW: 140/SGW: 151
twins4meplus1
on 6/27/11 6:33 am - St Thomas, Canada
Congrats on getting OHIP approval for a revision.
May I ask why you need to be revised?

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 7:58 am
I am seeking a revision due to lack of restriction and weight regain.  I do not have any restriction in my pouch and I do not feel full unless I consume a regular sized meal.  I am then hungry again in less than 1 1/2 hours because the food does not stay in the pouch. 
After my RNY surgery back in 2007, I did have some restriction early on due to the swelling, but it did not last like most RNYer's.
I am revising to the DS to get back to a normal functioning stomach with a pyloric valve, but it will be reduced in size so I will have restriction. Also I need the malabsorption part that will last a lifetime and not just 18-24 months. This is my last chance at being able to get the weight off and keep it off.  I have done alot of research on the DS.  I wish there would have been more information about the DS back when I first had my RNY.  I would have chose to fight for it back then.
I hope this answered why I need a revision.
Penny
PatXYZ
on 6/27/11 8:58 am
Congratulations on being such an excellent advocate for your health! It's no small feat to have OHIP agree to a DS!
birdiegirl
on 6/27/11 9:58 am
Hi Penny

I didnt realize that malabsorption lasted with the DS.....it doesnt with the RNY.....

ericaFG
on 6/27/11 1:38 pm - Cambridge, Canada
There are some long term ds'rs out there who would disagree.

My understanding is that nutrient absorption never comes back (with either surgery), but calorie aborption does. The reason being that calories are absorbed throughout the intestine - so no matter how much or which section is removed, the rest of your intestines eventually get more efficient and you absorb more calories. Nutrients are only absorbed at specific sites, so if those are removed, your body cannot "recover". That's kind of simplistic, but how the surgeon explained it to me...

Penny - congrats on your approval - but I'd be cautious of believing that you will have a lifetime "free ride" of malabsorption.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 8:43 pm
Erica I am not looking for a free ride of malabsorption.  I know that with both surgeries vitamins are required for life.  With the DS the malabsorption of fat, complex carbs, and protein will lessen over time, but some form of malabsorption will remain. Simple carbs are absorbed 100%.
In an earlier post you asked me if I would be happy to have just the sleeve part done.  At that time I said that I would.  At least with the sleeve I would have restriction.  So I don't want everyone to get the impression that I am looking for a free for all to eat.  Just getting the restriction back would be better than what I have now.
I was just answering the question of why I want a revision.  It was not intended to start a surgery war.  I have a failed RNY and that is why I need a revision.
Thanks for your support.
Penny
Most Active
Recent Topics