Brad has a kidney stone

Karen M #2
on 8/12/11 5:36 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Hi peeps,
Is there anyone here who has experienced kidney stones post-op? I had to take Brad to Emerg on Wednesday evening and they gave him 1 dose of toradol in an IV (along with multiple doses of zofran for nausea and morphine for pain). I am aware that toradol is an NSAID and that one dose is fine, but beyond that it is a no-no. Has anybody been given any other type of drug to reduce inflammation to get one of these suckers out? The ER doctor gave him a script for dilaudid and Flomax. Yesterday he didn't have any pain, but now today the pain and nausea are back with a vengence. Going to call Telehealth when I get home to see if I should take him back to Emerg.
Thanks,
Karen

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

Karen M.
on 8/12/11 5:46 am - Mississauga, Canada
Sorry, no experience Karen, but my best to Brad, poor guy! 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Sheritk
on 8/12/11 5:49 am - Canada
 Hi there, so sorry to hear about Brad. Kidney stones are not fun! I have had many before and now after surgery. I have been given toradol at times too but you can use tramadol which is better for us. Sounds like the stone is moving again and causing the pain and nausea. I have used Percocet or morphine before to help with pain. Hope it passes soon and gives him relief.....if he cannot tolerate the pain for sure go back to the hospital. 
Take care....

Sheri
  Cheryl M is my   aka...chermull6

Typoqueen
on 8/12/11 5:59 am
Sorry to hear that Brad is going though this. Hope he is feeling better soon.

Kelly

JJ_
on 8/12/11 10:05 am

Oh no!!  I wouldn`t worry about an NSAID given by intervenous, since it would not have an opportunity to irritate his stomach.

When I had kidney stones....it was the first time in my life on morphine....WONDERFUL. I couldn`t eat since they didn`t know when they would do surgery and with the morphine I didn`t CARE ABOUT FOOD!.  LOL

Good luck Brad.

Judy

Catnip
on 8/12/11 11:23 am - Ottawa, Canada
 NSAIDs given anyway can irratate the stomach.  It isn't just having them in your stomach that can cause a problem but having them in your blood stream is also an issue.

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Karen M #2
on 8/12/11 12:26 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Sorry Judy, Catnip is right on that one. NSAIDs don't have to come into contact with your stomach or pouch to cause a problem, just needs to get into your bloodstream (no matter what the route).

Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Sheritk
on 8/13/11 1:41 am - Canada
 Just wondering how he is doing today...and to let you know that Tramadol is not an NSAID....it is best to drink as much water as you can..and then some when trying to pass a stone. Did they say where is was from the tests? How large is it? If they think it is under 5mm they may feel he can pass it on his own. Keep us posted.....

Sheri

Karen M #2
on 8/13/11 2:49 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Hey Sheri, he hasn't passed it yet. On the CT scan on Wednesday night it showed a 4mm stone at the bottom of the ureter, about to enter the bladder. He didn't have any pain all day Thursday and went to work and then went to work on Friday, but I had to go get him at work on Friday morning as the pain and nausea had returned. He said the pain is in the same place, but he's still peeing and only had blood in his urine a couple times yesterday (it has now stopped). He's not in any pain today, so far and hasn't taken any dilaudid since yesterday at 4pm. Hope to God he passes it soon - he's flying to Newfoundland on Friday for 3 weeks to visit family and to stand in a wedding (I am following him a week later).

Thanks for asking! 

Sheritk
on 8/13/11 8:13 am - Canada
 Sounds like he is close to passing it or already could have.....sure hope all works out for your trip. Just was thinking about you both and thought I would ask how he was. Take care.....

Sheri

Thanks for the update...kidney stones can be so frustrating!

Most Active
Recent Topics